Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates and Testing

Stay up to date

Register of Deeds Notice

The Register of Deeds office is open, but in-person services should only be used as a last resort. To obtain a marriage license or be sworn-in as a notary public, you must come in person. Otherwise, most of our services are available from home. If you need a birth, death, or marriage certificate, simply click here to purchase one, and we will mail it directly to you. If you have questions about getting a copy of a deed, please give us a call or email us. To search our database of property records dating back to the 1700s, click here.

If you need in-person services, we ask that you only come in if you are not sick and that you wear a mask. We promise that only healthy staff are allowed to serve you.

Frequently Asked Questions

North Carolina General Statutes specifically prohibit the Register of Deeds or their staff from practicing law. We are unable to supply legal forms, provide instructions on drafting or completing forms, or answer questions regarding the legal consequences of instruments filed. We advise you to consult an attorney if you have any legal questions.

The Buncombe County Register of Deeds is located at 205 College St., Asheville, NC 28801. Our hours of operation are 8:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, except for county observed holidays.

Yes, all records filed in the Register of Deeds office are public records and available to anyone. The only records with restricted access are military discharges due to the sensitive nature of these documents.

Since all documents filed in the Register of Deeds office are public record, anyone may view or obtain a copy of these records. However, only the individual, their immediate family member (mother, father, step parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild), an authorized agent, or legal representative may obtain a certified copy of a vital record. These documents can be purchased in person, online via our Vital Records Request form, or through the mail. For more information, please visit our Vital Records page or call (828) 250-4300.

No, divorces are court related matters and are therefore kept by the Buncombe County Clerk of Court. Please find information pertaining to the Clerk of Court or by calling 828-259-3400.

No, these records are court related matters and are therefore kept by the Buncombe County Clerk of Court. Please find information pertaining to the Clerk of Court or by calling 828-259-3400.

Public access via the internet to our Real Estate records can be found by using our Online Document Search Tool.

Access to these public records is also available in person at the Register of Deeds Office in the Public Record Search Room from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

We process each request within 2 business days as long as all information is provided along with a valid ID and payment.

If you are having difficulty viewing images, you may need to update to a modern browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. You may click on the highlighted link above to download Chrome for free. For further questions, please call (828) 250-4302.

The Register of Deeds office records Certificates of Assumed Name (DBAs) but not business licenses. If you have additional questions about starting a business in Buncombe County, we encourage you to visit Business Link North Carolina for more information.

Corporations and LLC are recorded in the Secretary of State's Corporation Division. You may search their corporation information and access forms on-line by going to

It is suggested that you park in the parking deck at 164 College Street across from the courthouse. Register of Deeds staff can validate up to one hour of parking in the deck.

What days are you closed for Holidays?

Specific Questions

Questions about Marriage/Name Changes, Real Estate, and Recording Information.

Marriage & Name Changes

Once you obtain a marriage license, marriages can be performed by a civil magistrate on the 2nd floor of the Buncombe County Courthouse. The magistrate is generally available to perform marriages on weekdays at 8:30 am and 3:00 pm. However, this is not always the case, so it is advisable to call the magistrate's office before arriving to ensure that he will be available. The fee is $50, payable in cash only. For more information, please call the magistrate's office at (828) 259-3407.

If you would like to get married after business hours or on the weekend, you may be able to do so by a criminal magistrate at the Buncombe County Jail. Please contact the criminal magistrate's office at (828) 250-4690 for more information.

First, please obtain a certified copy of your marriage license from the Register of Deeds Office. You must then present this document along with other required documentation to the Social Security Administration. Once you have applied for a social security card in your new name, you may visit the Department of Motor Vehicles to update your driver license.

Social Security Administration
800 Centre Park Drive
Asheville, NC 28805

DMV — Driver License Office
1624 Patton Avenue, DMV Building
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 251-6065

A legal name change is done through a Court Order which must be obtained through the Clerk of Court’s office, Special Proceedings Division. Please find more information online or by calling (828) 259-3400.

Real Estate

You will need a new deed to be drawn up and filed. Filing standards can be found on our Recording Information page. It is recommended that you consult an attorney when preparing legal documents.

The Register of Deeds is prohibited by law to perform a title search. If you wish to see if there are liens on a property, we encourage you to seek the advice of an attorney. You may also contact the Buncombe County Clerk of Court at 828-259-3400 for judgment information.

The records in the Register of Deeds office are searchable by name only. If you would like to find ownership information by property address, please refer to the Land Records Department online or by calling (828) 250-4900.


Yes, in an effort to increase convenience and efficiency, this office is pleased to offer eRecording service. Please see our Electronic Recording page for additional information.

Please see General Fees page for a complete fee schedule.

The Buncombe County Register of Deeds offers a free service to help residents maintain awareness of what documents are recorded in our office. The service, called Property Check, allows residents to track property recordings in their name and receive notifications when changes are made. Property fraud is rare, but our office has taken extra steps to help monitor your records.

Locate & Contact

Register of Deeds


Main Office
P: (828) 250-4303
F: (828) 250-4339

Birth, Death & Marriage Records
P: (828) 250-4300
F: (828) 250-4333

Recording / Real Estate
P: (828) 250-4302
F: (828) 250-4336

Register of Deeds
205 College Street
Asheville, NC 28801

Find Parking

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

*Se Habla Español