Skip to main content

COVID-19 Update

Stay up to date

Register of Deeds Notice

Recording Real Estate documents

During this State of Emergency, we strongly encourage all documents to be electronically recorded. In an effort to help with this transition our eRecording vendor, Simplifile, has agreed to waive all startup fees and annual costs throughout the State of Emergency. There will be no changes to how we handle documents that are eRecorded or mailed to our office.

For those who want to record documents in person, you must use the new drop box located just outside of our office. We will have a skeleton crew in the office to record documents during regular business hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The drop box will be checked multiple times throughout the day and all documents that are dropped off by 4:30 p.m. will be recorded the same day.

Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates

All certified copies of birth, death and marriage certificates will be available for purchase online only. The Buncombe County Register of Deeds office will charge you only the regular cost of the certificate, $10. There will be no surcharge for our online service or for mailing you the certificate. To purchase a certificate go to

Marriage Licenses and Notary Oaths

Marriage Licenses and Notary Oaths Marriage licenses and notary oaths will be available daily by appointment only. Since these services must be in person because we have to verify each person’s identity and see them sign, we ask that you only come in at your scheduled time and only if you are not sick. We also promise that only healthy staff are allowed to serve you. Appointments can be made online here.

Military Discharge

Information about obtaining Military Discharges

Military Discharges may be registered at no charge in the Buncombe County Register of Deeds Office. Certified copies of registered discharges are also issued in person at no charge.

In accordance with North Carolina General Statute 47-113.2, the parties authorized to access discharge documents are limited to the following:

  • The veteran or the veteran's widow or widower.
  • Agents and representatives of the veteran authorized in writing:
    • By veteran or veteran's widow or widower in a notarized authorization,
    • By a court to represent veteran, or
    • By the veteran's executor acting on behalf of a deceased veteran.
  • Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, or a court official with an interest in assisting the veteran or the deceased veteran's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit.
  • Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives.

The North Carolina General Assembly limits access to Military Discharges due to the sensitive nature of these documents. Access to discharges which have been on record for over 80 years is not restricted.

Additional information and resources can be found with Buncombe County's Veterans Services and State Veteran's Affairs

Locate & Contact

Veterans Assistance - Military Discharge


Vital Records
P: (828) 250-4300
F: (828) 250-4333

Office Email Address

Register of Deeds
205 College Street
Asheville, NC 28801

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

*Se Habla Español