Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates, Testing and Vaccines

Stay up to date

Register of Deeds Notice

The Register of Deeds office is open, but in-person services should only be used as a last resort. To obtain a marriage license or be sworn-in as a notary public, you must come in person. Otherwise, most of our services are available from home. If you need a birth, death, or marriage certificate, simply click here to purchase one, and we will mail it directly to you. If you have questions about getting a copy of a deed, please give us a call or email us. To search our database of property records dating back to the 1700s, click here.

If you need in-person services, we ask that you only come in if you are not sick and that you wear a mask. We promise that only healthy staff are allowed to serve you.

Marriage License

  • Marriage Licenses are issued during business hours (8:00 am - 5:00 pm) at the Buncombe County Register of Deeds Office at 205 College Street.
    ** Please plan to arrive by 4:30 pm if possible.
  • To obtain a license, both parties must be present with valid photo identification AND Social Security Cards.
  • For your convenience, you may complete the Marriage License Application prior to your visit. The application can also be completed upon arrival at the Register of Deeds office.
    **Please note, submitted online applications will only be held for 30 days.

The fee for a Marriage License is $60.00

Note: The license is valid for sixty (60) days from the date issued and can be used anywhere within the state of North Carolina.

More Information

  • If you've never been issued a Social Security number or are not eligible for one, the Register of Deeds will provide you with an affidavit that will be signed and notarized in the office.
  • If you are unable to provide your actual Social Security Card, we will need to see something with your name and full 9 digit Social Security Number, such as a W2, tax form, etc.
  • Once the ceremony is performed, the completed license must be returned to the Register of Deeds Office within 10 days. A certificate of marriage can then be issued. Go to the Vital Records - Marriage Certificate tab for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, according to the general statues of North Carolina, you must purchase a marriage license before your ceremony to get married in North Carolina.

NCGS § 51-6 states: No minister, officer, or any other person authorized to solemnize a marriage under the laws of this State shall perform a ceremony of marriage [...] until there is delivered to that person a license for the marriage of the said persons, signed by the register of deeds of the county in which the marriage license was issued or by a lawful deputy or assistant. There must be at least two witnesses to the marriage ceremony.

Once you obtain a marriage license, marriages can be performed by a civil magistrate on the 2nd floor of the Buncombe County Courthouse. The magistrate is generally available to perform marriages on weekdays at 8:30 am and 3:00 pm. However, this is not always the case, so it is advisable to call the magistrate's office before arriving to ensure that he will be available. The fee is $20, payable in cash only. For more information, please call the magistrate's office at (828) 259-3407.

If you would like to get married after business hours or on the weekend, you may be able to do so by a criminal magistrate at the Buncombe County Jail. Please contact the criminal magistrate's office at (828) 250-4690 for more information.

First, please obtain a certified copy of your marriage license from the Register of Deeds Office. You must then present this document along with other required documentation to the Social Security Administration. Once you have applied for a social security card in your new name, you may visit the Department of Motor Vehicles to update your driver license.

Social Security Administration
800 Centre Park Drive
Asheville, NC 28805

DMV — Driver License Office
1624 Patton Avenue, DMV Building
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 251-6065

A legal name change is done through a Court Order which must be obtained through the Clerk of Court’s office, Special Proceedings Division. Please find more information online or by calling (828) 259-3400.

  • Applicants 16 to 17 must submit a certified copy of their birth certificate, a Social Security card, and at least one parent, or legal guardian with full or joint custody, who have proper identification, and who will give their written consent (on the marriage applications must be present).
  • Applicants 14 to 15 must provide a certified copy of a Court Order authorizing the marriage as well as a certified birth certificate and a Social Security card
  • A marriage license will not be issued to applicants under the age of 14.

Payment Types

  • Credit/Debit
  • Personal Checks
  • Money Orders
  • Cash

Note: Please make personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.

Locate & Contact

Register of Deeds


Birth, Death & Marriage Records
P: (828) 250-4300
F: (828) 250-4333

Recording / Real Estate / Assumed Business
P: (828) 250-4302

Help Desk
P: (828) 250-4303

Línea Telefónica En Español
P: (828) 250-4307

Register of Deeds
205 College Street
Asheville, NC 28801

Find Parking

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.