The Buncombe County Register of Deeds office can issue copies of birth certificates from the Statewide Birth Database maintained by the North Carolina office of Vital Records in Raleigh. Through this system we are able to issue birth certificates for persons born in all counties of North Carolina from 1971 forward.
Please be aware that you cannot use use this system if any of the following conditions apply to your request:
- the individual was born prior to 1971
- you don't have correct birth facts (name, birth year, mother's maiden name)
- the individual was adopted
- if you want a photo copy of the certificate instead of a certified copy
- the individual's birth was registered as a delayed birth registration (more than one year after the fact of birth)
Payment Types & Fees
The fee is $24 for a birth certificate through the Statewide System.
Please bring your valid photo ID and payment to our office at 205 College St.
We accept the following payment types.
- Personal Checks
- NOTE: Please make personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.
- Money Orders