Deadline to Apply is September 30, 2022
Eligibility requirements include:
- The property is located in Buncombe County.
- The property is your primary and only residence.
- You have owned the property for at least 5 years.
- Your household income is at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (See chart below.)
- You must not have more than $60,000 in reserve. This includes cash and all checking & savings accounts that can be available within 7 days.
- Your household must not already be receiving tax deferment assistance.
Household Area Median Income Chart
|FY 2022 80% of Area Median Income Survey
|# in Household
||Yearly Income Limit
|*For any household over 5 members, contact HHS for assistance.
Two Ways to Inquire
Option 1: Fill out eligibility inquiry
Begin eligibility process by answering a few questions to see if you may be eligible for up to $300 in grant funding for Buncombe County residents and up to $500 for residents in the Town of Woodfin and City of Asheville.
Begin Eligibility Process
Option 2: Call us
Call Buncombe County Health and Human Services at (828) 250-5500 to find out if you qualify, and join the list of interested applicants.
If you prefer, the application is available here to mail, email, fax, or drop off.
NOTICE: Completing this inquiry form does not guarantee eligibility in the Homeowner Grant program and does not guarantee delivery of benefits.
To determine eligibility, we may ask for
- Proof of income
- 2021 Tax returns
- check stubs
- award letter (ex. Social Security award letter, retirement letter)
- official letter from your employer or other acceptable verification
- To show that you have lived in the home for 5 years
- Proof of Reserve
- checking & savings account statements
Call Buncombe County Health and Human Services at (828) 250-5500 if you need to discuss your eligibility or if you have additional questions. There may be other housing programs available to assist you.