Skip to main content

Child Care Subsidy Program

Subsidized child care is a program funded through State and Federal dollars to assist parents with the cost of child care. Families receiving financial assistance may choose the child care program that best meets their needs.

In order to qualify for financial assistance for child care, parents must meet the program's income guidelines and must have a need for child care. For most parents, the need for child care is that they are working full-time or are enrolled in school full-time. The subsidy program can assist parents with the cost of child care for children ages 0 - 12.

Presently more than 150 child care programs participate in the child care subsidy program. Parents may take their voucher to the child care program of their choice. The Child Care Subsidy Unit is available to assist parents with locating quality child care programs.

Appointment Procedure

When Subsidy funding is limited, the Child Care Subsidy Program maintains a waiting list for parents requesting financial assistance for child care. Parents who are interested in being placed on the waiting list for financial assistance should contact the Child Care Subsidy Unit at Social Work Services by phone, 250-5500.

Click here to see state income guidelines for Subsidized Child Care.

>Helpful Items to Bring

When you come in for an appointment, make sure to bring proof of employment or school attendance verification, check stubs verifying wages and Social Security numbers for all family members.

How are services paid for?

Subsidized child care is a program funded through State and Federal dollars to assist parents with the cost of child care.

Locate & Contact

Public Assistance / Economic Services


Phillip Hardin
CSS Program Administrator
P: (828) 250-5592

Call Center
P: (828) 250-5500
F: (828) 250-6235

Economic Services / Public Assistance
40 Coxe Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801

Find Parking

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Mailing Address

Health & Human Services
PO Box 7408
Asheville, NC 28802

Email Us

Report Abuse - To make a Protective Service Referral, call anytime day or night. No appointment is needed.
Do you suspect abuse?

To make an adult or child protective services report any time, day or night, call the numbers below:

Adult Abuse

Child Abuse

211 - Help Starts Here

United Way's 211
Interpreter Services Available
Free of Charge.
Servicios de intérprete están disponibles sin costo alguno.
Услуги переводчика предоставляются бесплатно