Youth Employment Permits
The N.C. Department of Labor issues youth employment certificates for youth who are 14-17 years old. The Department of Labor in Raleigh maintains a file of these permits. Employers are required to know applicable state and federal laws regarding youth employment.
To get a youth employment certificate:
- Go to the N.C. Department of Labor's Youth Permit Page.
- Follow the directions to submit the required information for a youth employment certificate.
- After the information is submitted, the approved permit will be displayed on the screen.
- Print out the certificate and have it signed by the youth, parent or guardian, and employer.
- Give completed certificate to the employer to maintain on file.
If you have any questions about the youth employment certificate, contact the NCDOL Wage and Hour Bureau at (919) 807-2796 or toll-free at 1-800-NC-LABOR (625-2267). The youth employment certificate may also be obtained by visiting the Buncombe County Department of Health & Human Services at 40 Coxe Avenue between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. A Buncombe County HHS employee will assist you with navigation of the N.C. Department of Labor's website.
NOTICE: free internet access is available at all Buncombe County Libraries.