Skip to Main Content

COVID-19 Updates, Testing and Vaccines

Stay up to date

Permits & Licenses

Youth Employment Permits

The N.C. Department of Labor issues youth employment certificates for youth who are 14-17 years old. The Department of Labor in Raleigh maintains a file of these permits. Employers are required to know applicable state and federal laws regarding youth employment.

To get a youth employment certificate:

  1. Go to the N.C. Department of Labor's Youth Permit Page.
  2. Follow the directions to submit the required information for a youth employment certificate.
  3. After the information is submitted, the approved permit will be displayed on the screen.
  4. Print out the certificate and have it signed by the youth, parent or guardian, and employer.
  5. Give completed certificate to the employer to maintain on file.

If you have any questions about the youth employment certificate, contact the NCDOL Wage and Hour Bureau at (919) 807-2796 or toll-free at 1-800-NC-LABOR (625-2267). The youth employment certificate may also be obtained by visiting the Buncombe County Department of Health & Human Services at 40 Coxe Avenue between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. A Buncombe County HHS employee will assist you with navigation of the N.C. Department of Labor's website.

Please note, free internet access is available at all Buncombe County Libraries.