Criteria to Apply:
An applicant must provide a completed and notarized AOC-SP-917 release form with their online application.
- An applicant must be a resident of Buncombe County for at least 30 days.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age to receive a Permit to Purchase. The applicant must be 21 years of age, however, to purchase a handgun from a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL).
- Current North Carolina Picture ID (drivers license or ID card).
- Be a citizen, a naturalized citizen or resident alien
A permit to purchase a handgun has a processing cost of $5 (each). A convenience fee of $3 (per application, plus a credit card processing fee) will also be charged for using the online application service.
Note: Permit to Purchase a Handgun is valid for a period of five years from the date of issuance.
Please allow up to 14 business days for processing of applications and criminal background check.
Persons not eligible include anyone:
- Under indictment or against whom a finding of probable cause exists for a felony.
- Found guilty in any court for a felony.
- Who is a fugitive from justice.
- Who is an unlawful user of or addicted to illegal drugs.
- Discharged from the armed forces for other than honorable reasons.
- Who has been ruled mentally ill or lacking mental capacity.
- Ineligible to own, possess, or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law.
- Not fully satisfied as to the good moral character of the applicant.
- Found guilty of a crime or crimes of domestic violence or has an active restraining order.