Skip to main content

Adult & Child Intake

Our intake Social Worker has information not only about Health & Human Services but also services provided by other agencies.

An intake social worker is available Monday through Friday 8am-5pm for walk ins and can be reached 24 hours a day/ 365 days a year by calling (828) 250-5900.

Intake services include:

  • Receives reports of suspected abuse, neglect and dependency of minor children
  • Receives reports of suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of adults with disability
  • Receives complaints regarding Adult Care Homes
  • Receives referrals for Guardianship Assessment Services
  • Receives referrals for Adult Placement Services
  • Receives and directs inquiries for unclaimed bodies
  • Provides resource and referral information for community services when appropriate; for example, mental health services, Eblen Charities, affordable housing, Council on Aging, Community Alternatives Program, In-Home Aide Services, Adult Daycare Services, Guardianship, Payee, etc.
  • Makes reports or directs people to law enforcement when appropriate

How are services paid for?

No charge for this service.

Representative Payee

A Representative Payee assists individuals with the management of Social Security and SSI benefits when those individuals are unable to manage their resources and have no one else willing or capable to assist them.

For more information on representative payee please visit Social Security.

Locate & Contact

DSS - Adult & Child Intake


Drew Shelfer
P: (828) 250-5787

Social Work Services
40 Coxe Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801

Find Parking

Hours of Operation

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Regular Office Hours and After Hours availability for crisis situations.

Email Us

Report Abuse - To make a Protective Service Referral, call anytime day or night. No appointment is needed.
Do you suspect abuse?

To make an adult or child protective services report any time, day or night, call the numbers below:

Adult Abuse

Child Abuse

211 - Help Starts Here

United Way's 211
Interpreter Services Available
Free of Charge.
Servicios de intérprete están disponibles sin costo alguno.
Услуги переводчика предоставляются бесплатно