Skip to main content

Adult Protective Services

In Buncombe County you can make a Protective Service referral or report by calling (828) 250-5800 anytime, day or night. No appointment is needed.

If it is an emergency, an on-call social worker is available after regular business hours and weekends. If you have any questions you may call or come into our office located at 40 Coxe Avenue, Asheville, NC. You may also make the report in writing. You may remain anonymous but we encourage you to give us your name in the event additional information is needed. We are prohibited by statute to disclose the name of the reporter except when law enforcement is conducting a criminal investigation related to abuse, neglect or exploitation of the adult; or unless ordered by the court.

Making a Protective Service Referral

Do you have concerns about a disabled adult who is either living in the community or in a licensed facility?

Did you know that there is a law that was enacted in 1975 to protect disabled adults from abuse, neglect and exploitation?

Please read on to understand the state statute and Social Work Services responsibility.

Protection of the Abused, Neglected or Exploited Disabled Adult Act is located under Statute 108A Article 6.

This statute was initiated to protect the increasing number of disabled adults in North Carolina who are being abused, neglected or exploited.

The statute requires that anyone having reason to believe that a disabled person is in need of protective service shall report such information to the director of the Social Work Services.

Referral or Report Process

The Social Worker will ask numerous questions of you such as but not limited to adult's name, address, age/date of birth, Social Security number, family/collateral names, how is the person disabled, what are the allegations of abuse, neglect or exploitation.

The questions asked are important to assure that all appropriate services are made available to the adult.

To accept the referral for Protective Services the information provided must state:

  • The adult is physically or mentally incapacitated.
  • The adult is being abused, neglected or exploited. If abused, the abuse must be by a caretaker.
  • The adult is in need of protection.

This specific criteria is important because Protective Services unlike other services provided by Social Work Services is initiated without the consent of the adult.

Social Workers Responsibilities

Once a referral is taken for Protective Services, a Social Worker will be assigned the case. They have anywhere from immediately to 72 hours to respond to the case, depending on the seriousness of the situation.

A Social Worker is responsible for assessment of the situation and determining the need for protection. The assessment includes evaluating six areas:

  • Physical health
  • Mental Health
  • Social Support
  • Activities of daily living and instrumental activities of daily living.
  • Financial Support
  • Physical environment

During the course of the evaluation the Social Worker will talk with the adult, collaterals, and use whatever resources necessary to determine whether the adult is in need of protection.

Additional Resources

Additional information on reporting abuse.

If you want to help us spread the word about signs of abuse, self-neglect or exploitation of elder adults or adults with disabilities, please consider hanging this poster somewhere in your community.

To help people know where to go if they suspect maltreatment or self-neglect, this rack card was created by BCHHS. If you would like to obtain posters or rack cards, please email

Locate & Contact

DSS - Adult Protective Services


Social Work Services
40 Coxe Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
P: (828) 250-5800

Find Parking

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Email Us

Report Abuse - To make a Protective Service Referral, call anytime day or night. No appointment is needed.
Do you suspect abuse?

To make an adult or child protective services report any time, day or night, call the numbers below:

Adult Abuse

Child Abuse

211 - Help Starts Here

United Way's 211
Interpreter Services Available
Free of Charge.
Servicios de intérprete están disponibles sin costo alguno.
Услуги переводчика предоставляются бесплатно