Skip to main content

Services for the blind

Services to the Blind provides assistance to eligible blind and/or visually impaired persons. This program is administered by NC Services for the Blind.

Services Include:

  • Medical Eye Care
    • The Medical Eye Care Program offers financial assistance for eye care (medications and surgery) based on clients' medical needs and income. The Medical Eye Care funding is unpredictable and is dependent upon the State budget. Resource packets for possible help getting eye exams and glasses through other organizations are available upon request.
  • Independent Living Skills
    • Independent Living Skills provides an in-home assessment of client's needs related to visual impairments or legal blindness. Services include rehabilitation, mobility training, vocation assessments, referrals to community resources and family/individual adjustment counseling/education. Eligibility is based on review of a physician's eye report.

Appointment Procedure

Please contact individual listed below to request a Medical Eye Care application or to apply for Independent Living Skill assistance.

What to bring with you

Locate & Contact

DSS - Services for the Blind


April Conover CLVT, CVRT
NC Division of Services for the Blind
NC Department of Health and Human Services
P. (828) 250-5657
F. (828) 250-6235

Social Work Services
50 S. French Broad Ave.
Asheville, NC 28801

Find Parking

Hours of Operation

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address

Health & Human Services
PO Box 7408
Asheville, NC 28802

Additional Contacts

Christine Rokeby-Jackson
NC Services for the Blind
P. (828) 251-6732
F. (828) 251-6859

NC Services for the Blind
50 South French Broad Ave.
Asheville, NC

Hours of Operation

Monday & Tuesday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Report Abuse - To make a Protective Service Referral, call anytime day or night. No appointment is needed.
Do you suspect abuse?

To make an adult or child protective services report any time, day or night, call the numbers below:

Adult Abuse

Child Abuse

211 - Help Starts Here

United Way's 211
Interpreter Services Available
Free of Charge.
Servicios de intérprete están disponibles sin costo alguno.
Услуги переводчика предоставляются бесплатно