The Buncombe County Detention Facility is a 604 bed direct supervision Detention Facility. Built in 1994 the Buncombe County Detention Facility replaced the old Buncombe County Jail that was located on the top floors of the Buncombe County Courthouse. The Buncombe County Sheriff is required by law to operate a county Detention Facility. The public can contact the Detention Facility by calling (828) 250-4550.
The Buncombe County Detention Facility must maintain order and control when dealing with a large group of inmates. Inmates have some privileges and opportunities, which are explained below.
Depending on the Housing Unit Inmates have up to six hours each day out of their cells. This time can be spent watching television, showering, or talking with other inmates. The specific hours of free time are as follows:
- 0900 to 1100 hour
- 1400 to 1600 hours
- 1900 to 2200 hours
The commissary is the inmate store where health and comfort items may be purchased. Inmates can receive money from their family and friends to spend in the commissary. Items such as aspirin, crackers, food, and sodas may be purchased in the commissary.
An inmate must be classified and assigned to a housing unit to receive a visit.
- Visitors must have valid state or federal ID card or driver’s license. All identification must contain bearers photograph.
- Minors fifteen (15) years old, or younger, do not need identification when a parent or legal guardian accompanies them.
- Adults sixteen (16) years old, or older, must have proper identification to visit.
- Children may not be left unattended at any time.
- No purses, female wallets, bags, pocket knives, weapons, cellular phones, radios, camera's, pens, pencils, paper, tobacco items, matches, lighters, pictures, nail clippers, nail files, sharp items, or recording devices of any kind are allowed.
- No items may be left unattended in the lobby area.
- A visit may consist of one adult and one child.
- An inmate may have five people on his/her approved visitor list. You must be on the inmates approved list in order to visit.
Visitation appointments will be made by the visitor. Contact the Front Desk at 828-250-4610 or 828-250-4557.
Rules of Dress for Visitors
These rules of dress will be strictly enforced. It will be the responsibility to let their visitors know about the rules. Shirt and shoes are mandatory. The following are not allowed:
- Tube tops, Halter tops, or Tank tops
- Spaghetti strapped tops or Bare midriff
- Clothing displaying gang affiliation
- Pant or shirts with see-through fabric
- Shorts above mid-thigh (14 years of age and above)
- Dresses/skirts above mid-thigh
- Wave caps, doo rags, or bandanas
- Clothing of a generally revealing nature
- Spandex clothing
- Tights without shorts
Any other item of clothing; DEEMED BY THE STAFF, to be contrary to the policy of modest and acceptable dress will not be allowed.
Questions concerning the above information should be directed to the Buncombe County Detention Facility Administrator.
Buncombe County Detention Facility