Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates, Testing and Vaccines

Stay up to date

Getting started with fostering

Foster parents must be licensed through the state of North Carolina. This requires all foster parents in Buncombe County to take MAPP, Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting, foster parent training classes. Classes are held three hours, one night a week for six weeks.

Buncombe County is seeking foster parents to provide homes for sibling sets and children 12 and older. These vulnerable youth want to stay in their home communities and schools, connected to their friends, and surrounded by the beautiful mountains we all call home.

Our January foster parent class will focus on older youth in foster care and how you can show up for them. We will discuss common myths about foster care, hear from licensed foster parents about their experiences, and review the resources for older youth within our county. Class starts Tuesday January 18, 2021 (6 weeks of fostering class + a 7th night for teen and older youth specific training).

Orientation is offered during the first half of the first meeting.

This is a good time to learn about the licensing and training processes and requirements as well as to begin to understand the expectations of Buncombe County’s licensed families. The second half of the first meeting sets the stage for the next five weeks of class. Some of the other class topics that are covered include:

  • Foster care experience
  • Helping children with attachments & birth family connections
  • Understanding the impact of trauma and foster care in the lives of children in care as well as your own family.

MAPP & Support Group Training Courses

Locate & Contact

DSS - Fostering Services


E: Email Families for Kids
P: (828) 250-5868

Licensing staff members monitor both the voice mails and emails – be sure to leave us your contact information so that we can follow up with you.

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Email Us

Report Abuse - To make a Protective Service Referral, call anytime day or night. No appointment is needed.
Do you suspect abuse?

To make an adult or child protective services report any time, day or night, call the numbers below:

Adult Abuse

Child Abuse

211 - Help Starts Here

United Way's 211
Interpreter Services Available
Free of Charge.
Servicios de intérprete están disponibles sin costo alguno.
Услуги переводчика предоставляются бесплатно