Skip to Main Content

COVID-19 Update

Stay up to date

ACH - Special Assistance & Medicaid

Special Assistance (SA) provides a cash supplement to help low-income individuals residing in licensed Adult Care Homes (such as rest homes) pay for their care. Adult Care Homes are unlike nursing homes in that medical care is not provided by home staff. Designated staff may administer medications and provide personal care services such as assistance with bathing, eating, and dressing. Medical Assistance (Medicaid) is also provided to Special Assistance recipients to help pay medical bills.

A personal monthly allowance is provided for all recipients, in addition to a small exemption on any income. From this, recipients purchase such items as soap, deodorant, snacks, clothing and hair cuts.

Aged and disabled adults (over age 18) in Adult Care Homes receive their supplement from State/County Special Assistance. Adults and children who are visually impaired receive their supplement from Special Assistance for the Blind.

If you or someone you know require this service, you should apply for assistance at your county Social Work Services. You may send a representative to apply on your behalf.