Immunizations are for everyone! They provide a shield of protection from dangerous diseases. The protection from some childhood vaccines will wear off as we get older. Older adults can develop risks for diseases like shingles and pneumonia. Plus, adults who are around any infant should make sure they get a ‘booster shot’ for whooping cough (pertussis).
All adults need
- Influenza (flu) vaccine during every flu season
- Td or Tdap vaccine: Every adult should get the Tdap vaccine once if they did not receive it as an adolescent to protect against pertussis (whooping cough), and then a Td (tetanus, diphtheria) booster shot every 10 years.
- Foreign travel immunizations if traveling outside of the United States.
Other vaccines you may need as an adult are determined by factors such as age, lifestyle, health conditions, and immunization history.
Learn more about vaccines for:
Learn more about what other vaccines may be recommended for you and talk to your healthcare professional about which vaccines are right for you. You can also call the Health and Human Services Immunization Clinic for information. The clinic provides a wide range of vaccines for adults and children.
Getting immunized throughout your lifetime protects you, the people you love and our community against harmful diseases.
Audio message for ADULTS:
Your Immunization Records
Your immunization records may be required for work, school, or travel outside of the United States. It is important to have your immunization record so you can know when you might need a new immunizations or booster shot as you age. Talk to your doctor or call our Immunization Clinic with questions or to obtain official copies of immunization records.
There are fees for almost all foreign travel immunizations. Payment is expected at time of service.
- Insurance — please bring insurance info with you. We bill Medicaid, Medicare, and most private insurances.
- Self-pay — we accept cash, money orders, checks, debit and credit cards
- The state of North Carolina offers certain free vaccines to those who qualify.
- Learn more about fees and billing options.
For More Information: