The Health Registrar’s Office at the Department of Health is responsible for obtaining and preserving documents of all births and deaths in Buncombe County.
This evidence protects the legal rights of individuals and provides a sound statistical basis for health and social planning. These records (except fetal death reports) are filed permanently in the NC Division of Public Health Vital Records, in Raleigh, NC, and are certified or verified when requested
A child's birth certificate is registered by the hospital if the child is born there. It is the responsibility of the parent to apply for a birth certificate when a home birth/delivery has occurred in Buncombe County. This can be done at the Health Registrar’s office by calling (828) 250-5214.
If you are looking for an official, certified copy of a birth or death certificate, contact the Register of Deeds office at (828) 250-4300.
- Registering Home Births
- Adding a father’s name to child’s birth certificate
- Death Certificate Preparation
Registering a Home Birth
Please follow the steps below to register a home birth in Buncombe County.
- Fill out a Home Birth Registration Form
- If you are unable to view or print the Home Birth Registration Form, please call (828) 250-5214 or come to our offices located in the administrative suite at 35 Woodfin Street. Our Deputy Health Registrars are located in the HHS Administration Suite right off the main lobby area.
- Obtain a statement from someone that can verify that the mother was pregnant (this can be a co-worker, pastor, neighbor, friend or anyone that is not a relative). This document must be notarized.
- Obtain a document that verifies your residence in Buncombe County (utility bill, tax record, etc.).
- Send the Home Birth Registration Form to us at:
Buncombe County Health Registrar
200 College Street, Suite 410
Asheville, NC 28807
Fax: (828) 250-6173 with attention to Buncombe County Health Registrar
- When we receive your form we will call to set up an appointment during which you will complete the Home Birth Registration. Depending on individual circumstances, we may require both parents to be present at this appointment.
Notice: For more information, please call the Health Registrar’s Office at (828) 250-5214.
Affidavit of Parentage - AOP
Adding a father's name to child's birth certificate
If the biological parents of the child are married and would like to add the biological father’s name to the birth certificate, visit the Register of Deeds Office
and complete a Legitimation document.
If the parents are unmarried when the child is born, the biological father’s name can be added to the birth certificate by filling out an Affidavit of Parentage. Please call the Buncombe County Health Registrar at (828) 250-5214 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment to fill out an Affidavit of Parentage.