Now, more North Carolinians have access to healthcare coverage with Medicaid expansion. NC Medicaid will pay for doctor visits, yearly check-ups, emergency care, dental care, mental health, and more – all at little or no cost.
This is a great opportunity for people to apply, whether they have applied before and have been denied, have been covered by Medicaid in the past and then dropped, or have never applied before.
To apply online now, visit epass.nc.gov.
Medicaid Expansion at a Glance:
- This expansion will allow folks who have not qualified in the past to be eligible for coverage.
- There is no monthly fee and copays are never more than $4.
- People already enrolled in Medicaid’s limited Family Planning Program who are eligible will be automatically enrolled in full Medicaid expansion benefits.
- Coverage includes primary care, hospital services, maternity and postpartum care, vision and hearing services, prescription drug benefits, behavioral health, preventive and wellness services, dental and oral health services, medical-related devices and other therapies.
Most people will get health care coverage through NC Medicaid if they:
- Live in North Carolina
- Are ages 19-64.
- Are a citizen or a qualifying non-citizen:
- Non-citizens eligible for NC Medicaid must live in North Carolina and be a qualified non-citizen for at least five years. Refugees, asylees, or lawful permanent residents who used to be refugees or asylees are except from the five-year wait period.
- Have a household income that is within the chart below:
How To Apply:
- The easiest way to apply starting Dec. 1 is online anytime at ePASS.NC.gov – a secure, self-service website that lets you avoid wait times for in-person applications. Completed online applications may also be processed faster.
- If you cannot apply online, you can:
- Apply in person at 40 Coxe Avenue in Downtown Asheville.
- Call (828) 250-5500 and complete a telephone application.
- Mail a completed paper application, found here, to 40 Coxe Ave., Asheville, NC 28801. P.O. Box 7408.
What You Need to Apply:
- Prepare to have the following information to apply: full legal name, date of birth, Social Security Number (or immigration documents), North Carolina residency, and income information (such as paystubs, W-2 forms, tax returns, or business records).
- You need an email address to apply through ePASS.
Medicaid Expansion Kickoff Event
Buncombe County Health and Human Services is hosting a Medicaid Expansion Kickoff event open to the public on December 12, 2023, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the East Asheville Library at 3 Avon Road in Asheville.
This is a great opportunity to get your questions about Medicaid NC answered and apply onsite using library computers. Health and Human Services staff will be there to answer questions and assist with online applications.
The event will include a presentation and a Q&A.