This news item expired on Wednesday, November 29, 2023 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
Did you know MANNA FoodBank provides more than 58,000 meals a day in Western North Carolina? MANNA works in partnership with the Buncombe County Community Connectors to provide much-needed food to 12 locations in under-resourced areas throughout our community. Donations will be collected for two weeks at area libraries and select public-facing County buildings beginning September 25 and ending on October 14 .
MANNA served over 155,000 people in June 2023, which was another alarming high in a months-long trend of tens of thousands of people across the mountains needing food support each week. March 2023 marked the end of the pandemic-era SNAP benefit expansion, resulting in a new peak that has since continued to climb.
Buncombe County is asking the community to pitch in to help meet this need by dropping food items by one of our 12 Buncombe County Public Libraries or public-facing buildings.
You can drop off donations at the following locations around Buncombe County (look for the collection bins and signs):
- Public libraries
- Black Mountain
- East Asheville
- Enka Candler
- North Asheville
- Oakley/South Asheville
- Pack Memorial
- Skyland/South Buncombe
- West Asheville
- Register of Deeds at 205 College St.
- Tax at 94 Cox Ave.
- HHS building at 40 Coxe Ave.
- Elections at 59 Woodfin
- Air Quality at 52 Coxe Ave.
- Family Justice Center at 35 Woodfin
- Permits and Inspections at 30 Valley St.
- County Administration building at 200 College St.
MANNA’s most-needed items include:
- Canned meats (beef, chicken, tuna)
- Peanut butter (plastic jars only)
- Dried/canned beans (pork and beans, pinto, kidney, black)
- Hearty soups (pop-top cans preferred)
- Meals in a box or can (beef stew, chili, mac & cheese)
- Canned fruit (fruit cocktail, raisins, apple sauce)
- Canned vegetables (green beans, carrots, greens)
- Cereals and grains (rice, pasta, cereal in a box or bag)
- Fruit and vegetable juices
- Dry milk (instant non-fat)
Community Markets needs extra volunteers!
If you are interested in volunteering at one of the Community Markets, please click here to learn more.
Thank you to everyone for helping us with this initiative to support children and families throughout our community.