This news item expired on Thursday, February 2, 2023 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
As you deck the halls this holiday season, be fire smart. The winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. But that also means a greater risk for fire. The Buncombe County Fire Marshal’s Office shares these tips for keeping your season merry, bright, and fire safe.
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
Download the attachments for more fire safety tips.