Hay there! Let’s get the party startled and go big or gourd home – it’s time to start planning your entry for Buncombe County’s Scarecrow Contest. We’re looking for scarecrows that represent agriculture and nature or that are silly, funny, and/or spooky. The fall tradition will be at Lake Julian, and winners will be announced during this year’s Falloween Festival (October 22 3-7 p.m.) spots are limited, so please review our rules and use the link to sign up.
Winners will receive a first (gold), second (silver), or third (bronze) place prize pumpkin!
The fine print
- The contest is limited to 20 public entries.
- Voting will be done Oct. 22 at Falloween, between the hours of 3-5:30pm, winners will be announced around 6:15 p.m. with Gold, Silver, and Bronze prize pumpkins.
- Sign up is Sept. 1-Oct. 7 (but entry space is limited). Click here to register.
- Scarecrows can be set up from Oct. 8-14.
- Please don’t use food or other items that will rot in the construction of the scarecrow. Displays must be rainproof and able to withstand the weather.
- You are responsible for your own setup.
- Scarecrows can be retrieved Oct.24-28. After this date, scarecrows will be removed by park staff and disposed of. We are not held liable for any items missing or broken from the scarecrow once dropped off in the park.
- Themes can be agriculture, nature, silly/funny, and/or spooky.
- For additional questions, please call the park office at 828-684-0376