This news item expired on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
In honoring the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Buncombe County typically likes to promote a day of service. Whether that’s volunteering as a mentor, tutor, or working with your churches or community organizations. However, we must remain vigilant in the face of COVID-19 where we’re seeing record numbers and trying to promote less in-person gatherings. It can be even trickier if the upcoming extremely snowy weather report is accurate. With that said, just because we can’t be in the same room together, doesn’t mean we still can’t make connections with each other.
Mentoring and tutoring are things that technology has made it possible to assist with through free platforms like Zoom and Google Meets. You can call your neighbors or local community center to see if any donations are needed, or if you can pick something up for someone while you’re out and about. Also, January is National Mentoring month, so if you have knowledge, education, or life experience that can benefit others, it’s a great avenue for a day of service.
But sure, these are all great ideas, but where can you go to get involved in day of service programs? Well, here is a list of businesses/organizations you can support – even virtually – during this day of service:
- LINK The YMI Cultural Center has a new tutoring/mentoring program
- LINK Support Black-Owned Businesses
- LINK Volunteer with the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Association of Asheville and Buncombe County
- LINK Get involved in the City of Asheville’s Minority Business Association.
- LINK Food donated to MANNA Food Bank goes to our Community Engagement Markets
- LINK Read the Urban News, your gateway to our multicultural community
- LINK Join the Racial Justice Coalition in Asheville
- LINK Support the Southern Poverty Law Center
- LINK Help organization supporting those in need with BeLoved Asheville
- LINK Donate to end homelessness in our region with Homeward Bound
- LINK Fund legal services for local residents with Pisgah Legal Services
- LINK Just Economic works to create sustainable livelihoods here
- LINK Mountain Housing Opportunities can help with buying, renting, or home repairs
- LINK You can donate to OnTrack Financial Education and Counseling
Let’s all help our businesses, students, and communities of color while promoting a healthy and safe day of service. Try to avoid driving if the road conditions are bad, make sure to wear your face coverings and follow the Three W’s, and try to avoid large gatherings.
Also, there will be many streaming events taking place for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. day.
Here is also a post from our Special Collections about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s visit to Buncombe County.