This news item expired on Wednesday, March 31, 2021 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
Funding is available to eligible Buncombe households in need of financial assistance paying for heat this winter. The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) uses federal funding to provide qualifying households with a one-time vendor payment to help cover heating costs. This program is administered through a partnership with Eblen Charities.
COVD-19 has changed the way applications are submitted and payments are distributed. Please read below to determine whether you and your household need to apply for LIEAP assistance this season as many households that have received this service in the past have been automatically approved to receive assistance again this year.
- Select households are automatically eligible to receive LIEAP assistance if the household 1) includes a person 60 or older or a person with a disability receiving services through the Division of Aging and Adult Services, 2) currently receives Food and Nutrition Services, and 3) received LIEAP during the 2019-2020 season. These households should have been notified of eligibility in November. If you have been notified of eligibility, you do not need to apply for this benefit.
- Any household that is not automatically approved and contains a person age 60 or older or with a disability receiving services funded by the Division of Aging and Adult Services is encouraged to practice social distancing and submit a paper application for LIEAP assistance. Applicants may call to request to receive an application by mail, print it from the eblencharities.org website, or pick up one at the Eblen Charities office. Applications must be returned to the Eblen Charities office located at 50 Westgate Parkway Asheville NC 28806 by U.S. Mail or faxed to (828) 255-3775.
- Applications for all other households will be taken beginning Jan. 2, 2021 by the same methods mentioned above as well as the EPASS portal at epass.nc.gov. Applications will be taken until March 31st or until funds are exhausted.
To be eligible for the LIEAP program, a household must:
- Have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen who meets the eligibility criteria
- Have income equal to or less than 130% of the federal poverty limit
- Have resources, such as saving and checking accounts and cash on hand, at or below $2,250
- Be responsible for their heating cost
For more information on the program and eligibility, contact Eblen Charities at email@example.com or call (828) 255-3066.