Community COVID-19 Testing Information
COVID-19 testing is available for people who think that they may have COVID-19. The Buncombe Ready COVID-19 Self Checker can help you assess whether or not you need to be tested for COVID-19.
If your primary care provider does not offer COVID-19 testing, they can refer you to an option that works for you. Please go online or call ahead to schedule a visit and to confirm the location of the testing site.
Testing guidance for COVID-19 has expanded to encourage the following individuals to get tested for COVID-19 at one of the locations listed below or at a community testing site.
The new guidance recommends that clinicians test any patient in whom COVID-19 is suspected.
- Anyone with symptoms suggestive of COVID-19
- Close contacts of known positive cases, regardless of symptoms
- Persons who live in or have regular contact with high-risk settings (e.g., long-term care facility, homeless shelter, correctional facility, migrant farmworker camp)
- Persons who are at high risk of severe illness (e.g., people over 65 years of age, people of any age with underlying health conditions)
- Persons who come from historically marginalized populations
- Health care workers or first responders (e.g. EMS, law enforcement, fire department, military)
- Front-line and essential workers (grocery store clerks, gas station attendants, etc.) in settings where social distancing is difficult to maintain
Paying for COVID-19 Testing:
If you have private insurance, payment should be covered by your insurance company. If you are uninsured, please ask about the CARES Act which may cover the cost of the medical provider assessment and testing for COVID-19. Some providers offer charity care assistance or sliding scale options for payment. Check with your provider about these details.
COVID-19 Testing Providers
MAHEC Family Health Center
- Please call the MAHEC Family Health Center for a telemedicine visit before you arrive.
- MAHEC Family Health Center
- Call (828) 257-4730
- Sliding Scale may apply.
Mercy Urgent Care
- Visit www.mercyurgentcare.org to schedule a telemedicine appointment or a safe visit at one of our eight WNC locations.
Mission My Care Now
- Mission Health’s Virtual Clinic at www.missionhealth.org/virtualclinic can direct you to COVID-19 testing
- Most insurance plans will reimburse the costs
- $25 virtual visit fee
- Additional lab fee (if tested)
Range Urgent Care
Symptoms of COVID-19
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus.
- Fever or chills?
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Children have similar symptoms to adults and generally have mild illness.
This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning to you.
When to Seek Medical Attention
If you have any of these emergency warning signs* for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face
Call 911 if you have a medical emergency: Notify the operator that you have, or think you might have, COVID-19. If possible, put on a cloth face covering before medical help arrives.
Testing is available to everyone regardless of their race, income, gender, ethnicity, citizenship status, or religion. COVID-19 testing will not impact your ability to receive future public assistance benefits or public charge status.
Community based testing sites are now in rotation throughout the community. The list below will be updated weekly.
COVID-19 Testing Sites for Buncombe County Residents:
- Pisgah View Apartments: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 1-4pm
- Big Ivy Community Center: Thursday, June 4, 2020 1-4pm
Testing sites are outdoors and will be cancelled in the event of storms based on notification from the National Weather Service. Notice of cancellation will be made by 9am on the day of testing.
Please bring your insurance card if you have one. Please see attached documents for testing site details.