Do You Know How to Identify a Census Employee?
From the Census Bureau:
How to identify a Census Bureau field representative:
If you are visited by someone from the Census Bureau, here are some ways to verify the individual is a Census Bureau employee:
- The field representative will present an ID badge that includes:
- their name
- their photograph
- a Department of Commerce watermark
- an expiration date
- A field representative will be carrying an official bag with the Census Bureau logo or a laptop for conducting the survey.
- The field representative will provide you with a letter from the Census Bureau on official letterhead stating why they are visiting your residence.
- Field representatives conduct their work between the hours of 9am and 9pm, local time.
- Upon request, the field representative will provide you with their supervisor’s contact information and/or the phone number for your Census Bureau Regional Office. The Regional Office supervises the activities of all field representatives in your area.
If you wish to independently confirm that the person at your door is a Census Bureau employee, you can enter their name in the Census Bureau’s staff search website, or contact the Regional Office for your state. North Carolina's regional office is located in Atlanta and the number is (800) 424-6974