This news item expired on Monday, July 4, 2022 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
On Monday, July 4, the night sky will ignite with a barrage of color, light, and sound over Lake Julian Park (37 Lake Julian Rd.) as the annual fireworks display takes place to celebrate Independence Day.
Buncombe County friends, neighbors, and guests are invited to enjoy the spectacle just after dark from the banks of the lake on blankets and lawn chairs. The fireworks display begins approximately at 9:15 p.m., but visitors should arrive early to allow enough time for parking and entering the park. See below for parking information.
The park opens at 8 a.m., come out early and enjoy all the park has to offer: disc golf, cornhole, playgrounds, fitness courses, horseshoes, and more. Uncovered picnic tables and grills are available on a first come basis. Pop-up canopies are allowed and must be secured with a minimum of 45 lbs. of weights. Food trucks will also be on-site in the afternoon after 1:30 p.m.
- Southern Hawg BBQ
- Roll-In Cuban Food Truck
- Leisa's Kettle Corn
- Blunt Pretzels
- Norman's Ice Cream
- Kona Ice
Everyone can fish in any public body of water in the state without a license on July 4. All boats must be off the water by 8 p.m.
Please note: Paddle boats will be available for rent. All boats must be off the water by 8 p.m.
The park will be closed to regular traffic. Only vehicles with handicap designation will be allowed into the park. Parking will be restricted to William W. Estes Elementary (275 Overlook Road in Asheville), across Long Shoals Road from the main entrance to Lake Julian Park. A Young Transportation shuttle will operate from 8:30 a.m., until around 7 p.m. (Please note the shuttle will not run ater the fireworks)
The Buncombe County Sheriff's Office will aid with road crossings and gate control. Handicap access parking in the park will be allowed with a valid handicap placard. Limited parking is available at the Lake Julian Trails Greenway in the gravel lot adjacent to Wild Wing Café (65 Long Shoals Road in Arden).
If You Go
- Park at William W. Estes Elementary. Only vehicles with valid handicap placards are allowed inside the park. Limited parking is also available in the gravel lot next to Wild Wing Café.
- There will be an information tent with rangers with maps, water, etc.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a sweater or jacket. Evenings can get cool at the lake.
- Alcohol and tobacco products are prohibited on the grounds of Lake Julian Park.
- Covered picnic shelters and free-standing picnic tables will be available on a first come basis; no reservations will be accepted for July 4.
- Absolutely no personal fireworks are allowed in the park.