Come for the views and stay for the internet service, DVD collection, selection of youth-oriented books, and more. The Leicester Library’s pastoral and mountainous views are as expansive and captivating as its selection of best sellers and books with a focus on regional topics. “Our local interest section is quite popular and features hiking information and general Appalachian history; including a full set of Foxfire books for researching the details of our mountain heritage,” notes Librarian Regina Illig.
The Leicester Library also acts as a digital hub for nearby rural communities lacking internet infrastructure. “Some of the remote locations we serve do not have cable TV or internet services, so our wireless and computer access are vital… as is our extensive DVD collection of feature films, documentaries, instructional films, and movies for children,” explains Illig. And beyond the well-stocked collection of books, toys, puzzles, music, and audiobooks are the idyllic, 360-degree mountain views and abundant outdoor space that provide children and families multiple opportunities. Illig says the Leicester Library is often referred to as “the library on the hill” and occasionally the library hosts activities such as flying kites and model airplanes, bubble making, birdwatching, and nature walks. “A pollinator garden, picnic table, and bench make it easy to enjoy the outdoors and take in the scenic views when visiting the library,” says Illig of the library’s outdoor amenities.
Looking for a reason to visit this scenic sanctuary? Outside of its resources, there are plenty of programs, events, and other opportunities:
- Preschool story and craft time every Wednesday at 10:30 a.m.
- Book discussion group on the second Tuesday of each month at 1 p.m.
- LEGO builders club the last Friday of the month at 4 p.m.
- Nature programs in partnership with the NC Arboretum, science programs through the Hands On! Children’s Museum, and art programs with the Asheville Art Museum.
- Programs for those who like knitting, writing, music, storytelling, and movies
- A continuous and well-stocked lobby book sale sponsored by the Friends of Leicester Library.
- Popular annual programs such as the Holiday Ornaments Extravaganza, Valentine’s Tea Party, and Blind Date with a Book.
- Check out the entire, up-to-date calendar of programs and events.
So take in the views, a short walk, read a book, and enjoy all of the resources and outdoor activities available at the Leicester Library. Stay up-to-date on events and more with the Leicester Library Facebook page.
Make sure you also visit our featured online resources where you can get car repair advice, learn a new language, trace your ancestry, and more… all for free with your library card. Buncombe County Libraries have more than just books. Our libraries are community hubs where citizens of all ages can find services and amazing programs. Find a library in your community where you can read, learn, and discover.