This news item expired on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
Now is the Perfect Time to Meet the Love of Your Life!
The Asheville Humane Society is filled to the brim with adult dogs and cats looking for a forever family. So much so, that until further notice they are waiving all adoption fees for any animal aged six months or older. So, what are you getting for free from the Asheville Humane Society?
- A new loving member to your family.
- One-on-one counseling so you can select a pet that meets your expectations and lifestyle.
- All adoptions are spayed/neutered.
- All adoptions are updated on their shots.
While you can see just a small handful of adoptable dogs and cats in this article, check out all of the available dogs, cats, and more that are currently listed on the AHS website.
What are some benefits of having a four-legged friend at home?
- Having a pet in the home can lower a child's likelihood of developing related allergies by as much as 33 percent. (University of Wisconsin study.)
- Pet owners exhibit decreased blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels -- all of which can ultimately minimize their risk for having a heart attack down the road (Center of Disease Control.)
- Dogs can act as the perfect personal trainer, if only because most of them need to be walked several times a day. (National Institute of Health.)
- Pets also combat feelings of loneliness by providing companionship, which can boost your overall mood and even bring you feelings of joy and happiness.
Asheville Humane Society’s “Community Solutions” program aims to create solutions for pets and their people in order to keep pets happy, healthy and thriving in homes where they are loved. The program is based upon the belief that factors such as ethnicity, language, or income level do not affect the ability of someone to love or care for a pet. The Community Solutions program provides a “safety net” for families in crisis and aims to break the barriers faced by families living in under-served communities, making pet services such as medical and veterinary assistance, low-cost vaccines, temporary sheltering, and behavior assistance accessible through transportation assistance, a helpline, Spanish language resources, and door-to-door outreach. Through close collaboration with local veterinary hospitals, churches, social service agencies, food pantries, and schools, the Community Solutions program promotes positive change and contributes to a stronger and healthier community for both pets and their people.
So, if you want to add a new member to your family, now is definitely the time. Please visit the AHS Adoption Center at 14 Forever Friend Lane; or give them a call at 828.761.2001 to help save a life and provide a home to an animal in need.