Notice: County Assessment Staff Conducting Field Work
You might notice staff from the Buncombe County Assessor’s office in your neighborhood or looking at your property. So why are we doing this? The North Carolina Department of Revenue mandates that we randomly select 10 percent of the County’s properties for re-measurements; a process that essentially double-checks our math and verifies that property is being assessed fairly and accurately.
We always want our residents to be safe, especially when it comes to having people show up at their homes. So please be aware that County employee Kent Tombow (please see above picture), is conducting this state mandated process.
What this does not mean:
- County staff will not ask to come inside your home and Kent Tombow is the only County employee conducting this work.
- This is not an audit. Your property was selected at random as part of a procedural verification aimed at ensuring fair assessment for all County residents.
What this does mean:
- You have the right to ask for identification to verify Kent Tombow’s status as a County employee. Kent will always have ID accessible, be driving a County vehicle, and be wearing a shirt with the County’s logo.
- County staff will be taking measurements and photos around the exterior of your home.
- County staff might ask you a few questions, but will not ask to enter your home.
- The entire process should only take a few minutes and will only be Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Kent will provide written information about the process or leave it on your door.
This work is already underway and is slated to run through Sept. 15, 2018. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Buncombe County Tax Department at (828) 250-4940.