North Carolina law requires all residents to list all taxable personal property owned as of January 1 of each year. Buncombe County Tax Assessor’s Office wants to remind residents that property tax listings must be completed and returned by January 31, 2020, by 5 p.m. to avoid a 10 percent late-listing penalty. Persons who must file a property listing includes:
- All persons who own real estate must list any new additions, changes, or deletions that have been made as of January 1, 2020.
- All persons who own personal property such as untagged motor vehicles, permanent multi-tagged trailers, manufactured homes, boats and boat motors, airplanes, rental personal property, or farm machinery used for income purposes, etc.
- Business owners: All businesses are required to file a business personal property listing form annually during the listing period stated above, which includes: machinery and equipment; furniture and fixtures; computers; improvements to leased property; manufactured homes; aircraft; IRP plated vehicles; and supplies etc. used in connection with the business.
Avoid costly penalties: Help is available
For help completing your listing please call (828) 250-4920.
- Listing extensions may be granted upon written or online request and for good cause shown. The listing extension request must be filed with the Tax Assessor no later than January 31, 2020. Online extension requests may be filed at tax.buncombecounty.org/extensions. Extensions will not be granted beyond March 15, 2020. For information call (828) 250-4930.
- Property tax relief may be available for the elderly and permanently disabled persons: Anyone wishing to apply for exclusion under NCGS 105-277.1 should contact the Tax Department for an application at (828) 250-4915.
- Persons with agricultural land, forestland, horticultural land, or wildlife habitat land may qualify for a present-use value deferral. Contact (828) 250-4915 for information or find more at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Persons who may not have received a listing form, please contact the Tax Department at (828) 250-4920.
The Buncombe County Assessor’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. The office is located at 94 Coxe Ave., Asheville NC, or call (828) 250-4920. Forms are available here.