If you and your fiancé are planning on getting married in the next 60 days within the state of North Carolina, the Buncombe County Register of Deeds office would be glad to issue your Marriage License.
- Marriage Licenses are issued during business hours (8:00 am - 5:00 pm) at the Buncombe County Register of Deeds Office at 35 Woodfin St. Please plan to arrive by 4:30 pm if possible.
- To obtain a license, both parties must be present with valid photo identification AND Social Security Cards.
- The license is valid for 60 days from the date of issue and can be used for marriage anywhere within the state of North Carolina.
- The fee for the Marriage License is $60.00 and can be paid with cash/check/Visa/MasterCard.
- For your convenience, you may complete the Online Marriage License Application from home prior to your visit. The Application can also be completed upon arrival at the Register of Deeds office.
- Once the ceremony is performed, the completed license must be returned to the Register of Deeds Office within 10 days. A certificate of marriage can then be issued. For more information on obtaining your Marriage Certificate, please click here.
- If you are under the age of 18 and planning to get married, please click here.
- If you have lost your Social Security Card, please click here for other valid documents.
- If you've never been issued a Social Security number or are not eligible for one, the Register of Deeds will provide you with an affidavit that will be signed and notarized in the office.
- If you have any other questions, please click here for more information on NC Marriage Laws.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If you would like more information about being married in a civil ceremony in Buncombe County, please click here.
- If you would like more information about changing your name after marriage, please click here.
We accept Visa/MasterCard, cash, personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.