The Landfill's mission is to protect the health and safety of all citizens by disposing of all waste generated in Buncombe County in the most efficient, cost effective and environmentally sound manner possible.
- Wood waste disposal
- White goods recycling
- Construction and demolition debris disposal
- Residential, commercial, and industrial solid waste disposal
- Household hazardous waste disposal/recycling (periodically)
- Motor oil and battery recycling
- Cooking oil
- Pesticide container recycling
- Electronics recycling days
- Recycling convenience center
For information concerning the EPA Bioreactor Project, please visit buncombebioreactor.com
Solid Waste Rates for Citizens
- 33-gallon bags of household waste with recyclables removed: $2.00 per bag, effective July 1, 2014.
- Less than 33-gallon bags of household waste with recyclables removed: $1.00 per bag, effective July 1, 2014.
- Pick-up trucks, vans or small trailers: $47.00 per ton at Transfer Station - $12.00 Minimum, $43.00 per ton at Landfill - $10.00 Minimum
- Recyclables in blue bags: No Charge
- Newspapers, cardboard, or magazines prepared for disposal in accordance with the Solid Waste Department Policies: No Charge
- Household Hazardous Waste is accepted for $2 per gallon for paint-related material, such as paint thinner, kerosene, gasoline and paint. Other materials, such as lawn and garden chemicals, are accepted from Buncombe County residents, at no charge.
- Electronics recycling: $10 for a TV over 19" and $5 for a TV below 19".
- Residents may recycle 10 tires without rims at no charge. After that, tires may be recycled at $2 per tire. All tires on rims (even the first 10) are $2 per tire.
- Untreated wood, limbs, yard wastes, etc. suitable for mulching: $20.00 per ton
- Farm Animals: $50.00
- 2 bags for $1.00; leaves must be in bags and separated from wood and other yard waste
Solid Waste Rates for Commercial & Franchised Haulers
- All trucks, roll-offs, or flat bed (compacted or otherwise) of solid wastes which contain less than 5% by weight or volume, any of the following wastes: corrugated cardboard, untreated wood products suitable for mulching, concrete, cinder blocks, brick, concrete with steel or any type metals will pay $47.00 Per Ton at the Transfer Station & $43.00 Per Ton at the Landfill.
- First violation above the 5% limit: $86.00 per ton
- Second violation or any subsequent violation occurring within 6 months of the first violation: $129 per ton
- Untreated wood, limbs, yard wastes or other materials suitable for mulching: $20.00 per ton
- Semi-liquid non-hazardous food waste: $20.00 per ton
- Friable asbestos: $100.00 per ton, $100 minimum
- Tires accepted with original scrap tire certification form only: No Charge
- Tires without form: $2.00 per tire
- Electronics recycling (limit 5 units): $0.30 per pound. Businesses with large quantities of electronics must call for prior approval by dialing 250-5462.
Directions to the Landfill
[Download a map]
- From I-240, take 19/23 North and then take the UNC-A University exit.
- Turn left at the stop sign and go through the red light onto Riverside Drive.
- Go 10 miles north then turn right on Panther Branch Road. The landfill will be on the right.
- The new landfill is six miles north of the old landfill.