Skip to Main Content

Birth & Death Certificates

The Deputy Registrar/Vital Statistics Office at the Department of Health processes certificates for all births and deaths that occur in Buncombe County.

Most births occur at the Campus of Mission Hospitals, which is presently the only hospital in the county providing delivery care. A child's Birth Certificate is registered by the hospital if the child is born there. It is the responsibility of the parent to apply for a birth certificate when a home birth/delivery has occurred in Buncombe County.

The Deputy Registrar is responsible for obtaining and preserving documents of all births and deaths in Buncombe County. This evidence protects the legal rights of individuals and provides a sound statistical basis for health and social planning. These records (except fetal death reports) are filed permanently in the NC Division of Public Health Vital Records, Raleigh, NC, and are certified or verified when requested.

Services include:

How to get an appointment at Vital Records?

For Death Certificate processing no appointment is necessary, but calling ahead is recommended (828) 250-5213 or (828) 250-5214. The location of this office is at 199 College St., Asheville, NC 28801

For Birth Records questions, Home Birth Registrations and Affidavit of Parentages call (828) 250-5018; please call ahead to assure you have the correct paperwork and to make a scheduled appointment.

What to bring with you

Driver's license or other picture identification and Social Security Card.

How are services paid for?

There is no charge for Vital Record's services.

Certified copies of Birth & Death Certificates can be obtained through:

Buncombe County Register of Deeds
(828) 250-4300

There is a $10 fee for certified copies. The Register of Deeds accepts Visa/MasterCard, cash, personal checks, or money orders.

Certificates from other counties or states must be requested from the place of birth.

Affidavit of Parentage - AOP

Adding a father's name to child's birth certificate

If you need to have your child’s Biological Father added to the birth certificate you can complete an Affidavit of Parentage with our office. If you are currently married to the child's Father you will need to contact the Register of Deeds Office at 828-250-4300 and complete a Legitimation document to have the name added.

If you are still unmarried to the child's father and you were not married to anyone other than the father at the time of conception or birth of that child you can have the biological father added in our office. Both Parents must be present with a valid Photo ID and the child must be under 18 years of age.

Affidavit of Parentages are done by appointments only, please contact Rosemary Lackey at 828-250-5018 or email her.

If you have questions please contact us for assistance.