Updated Oct. 8: The deadline to apply is Thursday, Oct. 31.
Earlier this year, County Commissioners established the Parks, Greenways, and Recreation Board to help provide direction for the Department of Recreation Services. The inaugural board will have tremendous influence on the goals and process of the board — a big task, but an important one. There is a great amount of diversity among those who use Buncombe County parks and recreation facilities; the ultimate goal is an advisory group that reflects this.
“We’ve worked hard over the past two years to make contacting us as easy as possible,” says Josh O’Conner, Director of Buncombe County Recreation Services. “Buncombians are our guiding star. They inform us of how they use parks and what improvements we should prioritize. This advisory board is a natural extension of that transparency, ensuring a two-way conversation is always happening when it comes to improving access to wellness and enhancing the quality of life in our county.”
See below for a position description. To apply, click here.
According to its charter, the Parks, Greenways, and Recreation Advisory Board shall possess and exercise the following duties:
- Develop a strong, clear message about the County’s parks, greenways and recreation offerings that demonstrates how the public is being served and opportunities currently available to citizens. Help disseminate that message.
- Recommend strategic priorities for capital investments and facility improvements.
- Work in coordination with Commissioners and staff to support implementation and evolution of the Buncombe County Greenways and Trails Master Plan.
- Review and provide feedback concerning funding strategies and priorities of recreation-related capital improvements;
- Work in partnership with affinity groups—supportive nonprofits, parent organizations, schools, sports teams, etc.—to advocate for and promote County parks, greenways and recreation services
- Make recommendations concerning the construction and improvement of buildings and other structures for recreational needs;
- Assist in public engagement and outreach efforts related to the implementation and evolution of the Buncombe Greenways Master Plan;
- Remain apprised of marketing and public communication strategies and provide feedback regarding the efficacy of those strategies;
- Make recommendations regarding the brand and image of Buncombe County Recreation Services including, but not limited to facility names and branding, partnership and sponsorship policies, and memorial and sponsor elements within facilities;
- Advocate for and promote the County’s recreational service offerings to residents of the County alongside recruiting public input.
Once the board is formed, members will recommend when, where, and how often they should meet.
To apply, click here.
See below PDF for a citizen member job description.