AARP Foundation Tax-Aide in cooperation with the IRS, NC Department of Revenue, Buncombe County Library System and Council on Aging, Inc. will offer free tax preparations for taxpayers of low and moderate income, with special attention to those 60 and older.
This service will be available from February 2 through April 15, 2019 at sites listed below. Both Federal and NC tax returns will be electronically filed.
LOCATIONS AND HOURS:
Pack Library: 67 Haywood Street
- Monday 10am-4pm (please sign in before 3pm)
- Wednesday 10am-4pm (please sign in before 3pm)
- Saturday 10:30am-3pm**
West Asheville Library: 942 Haywood Road
Weaverville Library: 41 North Main Street
Black Mountain Library: 105 N Dougherty Street
Questions and requests for homebound individuals can be directed to the Buncombe County Council on Aging at 828-277-8288.
**Saturday tax assistance is provided by UNCA and will end on April 7. There will be no Saturday tax help on March 16.
Taxpayers should bring the following documents:
- Photo I.D. for taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security cards or equivalent for ALL taxpayers and dependents
- Proof of health insurance coverage: Forms 1095A, B or C; Marketplace exemption letter
- Copy of last year’s income tax return
- Income documents—Forms W2, SSA, 1099R, 1099G W2G, other 1099 forms, self-employment income, or documents relating to any other income
- Brokerage statements—sale of stock and bonds
- Educational expenses
- If you want to itemize expenses you will need: Detailed list and receipts for medical expenses, charitable contributions, real estate taxes and mortgage interest (form 1098)
- For direct deposit of refund, you will need a check or deposit slip from your bank with the routing number for your account