Skip to Main Content

COVID-19 Update

Stay up to date

ACH - Frequently Asked Questions

Group housing and services program for two or more unrelated adults that makes available at a minimum, one meal and house-keeping services and provides personal care services directly or through a formal written agreement with one or more home care agencies.

A residential facility for an older or disabled adult who is not able to live independently, but who does not need nursing home care. The purpose of an Adult Care Home is to provide assistance with activities of daily living.

Family Care Homes provide care for up to six people in a family-like setting. Adult Care Homes provide care for seven or more people. Both have around-the-clock or live-in staff who prepare meals, supervise medications and provide help with dressing and other needs.

Nursing Homes provide care to persons who are chronically ill or recuperating from an illness or injury and need regular nursing care and other medical services but not hospitalization.

Your physician will determine your level of care based on your personal care and medical needs and complete the FL2.

A medical form completed by your physician describing your diagnoses, medications, and care needed. This form is required prior to admission.

Residents can be elderly adults, developmentally disabled adults, mentally ill adults or any combination of these.

Call the local Social Work Services to obtain a current list of homes in your county.

Rates will vary by facility depending upon accommodations, services provided, resident’s income and eligibility fir assistance. See each facility for rates. Those unable to pay privately, may apply for special assistance at the local Social Work Services.

The license is issued by the State of North Carolina through the North Carolina Division of Facility Services and monitored by The County Social Work Services for compliance with licensing standards under the supervision of the North Carolina Division of Facility Services

Medicare does not cover residential care in an Adult Care Home or Assisted Living facility.

Call the Social Work Services in the county in which the home is located.

Yes, a Medication Technician who has been certified to administer medication.

Yes, unless their physician has determined that they would be at risk and need 24 hour supervision.

Most facilities will not allow pets; however, some facilities feel that having pets is beneficial to the residents.

The Administrator must provide transportation to necessary resources and activities, including transportation to the nearest appropriate health facilities, Social Work Services agencies, shopping, recreational facilities, and religious activities of the resident's choice. The Administrator is also responsible for providing or arranging transportation for any mental health day treatment programs if the physician makes it a part of the resident's treatment plan.