General Statement of Duties
Performs technical work in administrative/educational support and network activities. A position in this class under general direction supports, maintains, and evaluates computer networking systems. Installs, configures, and maintains both physical and virtual computer servers. Monitors day- to-day operations of the data center. Monitors and maintains enterprise anti-virus systems as well as infrastructure alerting configurations and notices. A Network Administrator works under the direction of the Network Managers. (#1113)
• Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the state of North Carolina.
• Position is a safety-sensitive position as defined by the Drug Free Workplace Policy.
Examples of Work
• Assists in coordinating special projects including network related wiring plans, LAN/WAN hardware/software purchases as well as system installation, backup, maintenance, and problem solving
• Assists in maintaining of Enterprise physical access control solutions
• Assists in maintaining of video security systems and associated hardware
• Maintains and monitors network/server/environmental monitoring systems
• Maintains and monitors enterprise backup solutions and notifications
• Maintain enterprise desktop management solutions
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of Active Directory principles and best practices
• Maintain a thorough understanding of Local Area Networking
• Works with Network Managers to oversee the day-to-day operation of computer networks including hardware/software support and special projects
• Assists in providing network and remote connectivity hardware/software support
• Assists in installing, configuring, and maintaining enterprise hardware and software
• Installs, supports, and maintains both physical and virtual network servers and appliances
• Researches, analyzes, monitors, troubleshoots, and resolves server or data network problems
• Responsible for maintaining Infrastructure related inventory
• Assists and provides support to other technology staff as requested
• Serve as an escalation resource for Desktop Support Technicians/Analysts/Specialists, Help Desk Technicians/Analysts/Specialists, and PC Technician/Analysts
• Help out with service desk tickets when needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Understanding of Active Directory and associated ideologies (Group Policy, DNS, etc…) required
• Technical, analytical, and interpersonal skills required
• MS Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 and MS Windows XP/7/8 experience a plus
• Ability to communicate in an understandable, polite and friendly manner, both written and verbal
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a government environment
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Ability to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Other Knowledge/Skills desired but not mandatory:
• Knowledge of digital trunking two-way radio systems.
• Knowledge of the principles of two-way radio communication.
• Knowledge of the principles of microwave radio and multiplex communications systems.
• Knowledge of the common causes of failure that occur in radio transmitting and receiving equipment.
• Knowledge of the principles of antenna design and construction.
• Knowledge of analog simulcast two-way radio systems.
• Ability to produce highly reliable repairs, modifications, installations.
Minimum Education and Experience
Bachelors’ degree with major course work in Computer Science, or a related field; supplemented by four (4) years previous experience in the support, operation, and design of server, network, and software systems; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities. Certain certifications such as those offered by Cisco or Microsoft enhance the resume of a Network Administrator.