On July 4, the night sky will ignite with a barrage of color, light, and sound over Lake Julian Park (406 Overlook Road Extension in Arden) as the annual fireworks display takes place to celebrate Independence Day. Buncombe County friends, neighbors, and guests are invited to enjoy the glittery spectacle just after dark from the banks of the lake on blankets and lawn chairs. The fireworks display begins approximately at 9:15 p.m., but visitors should arrive by 7:45 p.m. to allow enough time for parking and entering the park. The park opens at 8 a.m.
Revelers are encouraged to arrive early and enjoy all the park has to offer: disc golf, cornhole, sand volleyball, playgrounds, fitness courses, horseshoes, and more. Uncovered picnic tables and grills are available on a first come basis. Pop-up canopies are allowed, but must be secured with a minimum of 45 lbs. of weights. Food trucks will also be on-site throughout the day. Local bluegrass band Supper Break will play live music during the afternoon and into the evening.
Everyone can fish in any public body of water in the state without a license on July 4. We're also waiving the daily fishing fee as part of Free Fishing Day in North Carolina. Lake Julian is stocked with an abundance of bass, catfish, bream, and crappie by the North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission.
An accessible boat launch is available for private craft including fishing boats, canoes, kayaks, SUPs, and sailboats for a fee of $8. Paddle boats and water trikes will not be available for rent. All boats must be off the water by 8 p.m.
Parking on July 4 is restricted to William W. Estes Elementary (275 Overlook Road in Asheville), across Long Shoals Road from the main entrance to Lake Julian Park. Shuttles will operate from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. from the Estes parking lot. The Buncombe County Sheriff's Office will aid with road crossings after 6 p.m. Handicap access parking in the park will be allowed with a valid handicap placard. Limited parking is available at the Lake Julian Trails Greenway in the gravel lot adjacent to Wild Wing Café (65 Long Shoals Road in Arden).
If You Go
- Park at William W. Estes Elementary. Only vehicles with valid handicap placards are allowed inside the park. Limited parking is also available in the gravel lot next to Wild Wing Café.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a sweater or jacket. Evenings can get cool at the lake.
- Alcohol and tobacco products are prohibited on the grounds of Lake Julian Park.
- Covered picnic shelters and free standing picnic tables will be available on a first come basis; no reservations will be accepted for July 4.
- Absolutely no personal fireworks are allowed in the park.
Let us know how you celebrate by tagging Buncombe County Recreation on Facebook and Instagram and/or using #IHeartBCParks.