The Soil and Water Conservation District, governed by a five-member board of elected and appointed District Supervisors, works with its core partners, residents, and others, to conserve Buncombe County’s soil, water, and related natural resources. In a nutshell, the SWCD “helps people help the land”. For the most part, the services provided by the SWCD fall into one of the four categories listed below:
— Working with individuals, units of government, civic organizations, businesses, and others to find solutions to soil and water conservation issues on their property. This involves everything from an office consultation to developing a natural resource management plan or engineering plan for a piece of property. The District works in a conservation partnership with several state and federal conservation agencies, which enables the District to obtain the assistance of resource professionals such as engineers, agronomists, foresters, and others when they are needed.
— Provides local administrative and technical support for the N. C. Agricultural Cost Share Program, the N. C. Community Conservation Assistance Program, the Agricultural Water Resource Assistance Program, and various federal cost share programs that are administered through the District office. In addition, in a typical year, the SWCD administers several grants that provide cost-sharing assistance to landowners.
— Providing educational and outreach programs to students from kindergarten through college; publishing newsletters and brochures; making presentations to citizens and community groups; conducting environmental education field days; and special educational projects.
— The SWCD assists with the administration of the County’s Voluntary Agricultural Districts and Enhanced Voluntary Agricultural Districts programs as well as developing and holding permanent conservation easements on working farms and conducting other activities that support and promote local agriculture.
- Buncombe County Government
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- NC Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Sciences, Division of Soil and Water Conservation
- NC Foundation for Soil and Water Conservation
- National Association of Conservation Districts
Information available for viewing in the District office
- National Wetland Inventory Maps (1995)
- Aerial Photos — 1951, 1963, 1975, 1982, 1988
- U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Flood Hazard Maps
- U.S.G.S, 7.5 minute topographic maps of Buncombe County
- Buncombe County Soil Survey (copy available in CD format in office)