Join the 25 percent of Americans that can hold a conversation in a second language by taking advantage of a free resource from Buncombe County Public Libraries. Through Mango Languages, library card holders have access to lessons for more than 70 languages. Research suggests learning a new language is a great way to increase memory and thinking skills for people of any age, but particularly for children. And with Buncombe County Schools identifying that its students speak more than 55 different languages, you never know where you might find a friend to learn and practice your new language with.
What is Mango Languages?
Mango Languages offers online, interactive lessons for more than 70 languages. From Biblical Hebrew to German, it’s a great way to stimulate your entire family’s brains while learning a practical skill. The courses are online so all you need is an internet connection and a library card. The lessons teach you how to have practical conversations. As you progress, so will your natural conversation ability with a focus on navigating everyday situations like asking for directions and ordering food at a restaurant.
Need more reasons? Check out these 12 benefits of learning another language.
How do I access Mango Languages?
Mango Languages is available from your home, or anywhere you have internet access, through the Virtual Library link on the library web page at buncombecounty.org. Your library card is your passport to learning. Just use it to sign in. If you have any questions or difficulties contact one of our branches or fill out the online form for assistance.
- visit buncombecounty.org/library
- At the top of the page click "Virtual Library"
- Under "Featured Resources" click "Mango"
- An "NC LIVE" page will show up, select your library from the drop down menu, for example, "Pack Memorial Library" then click "NEXT"
- Fill in your Library barcode number (the number on the back of your library card without spaces), and your Password/PIN, which is the last four digits of the phone number associated with the account.
- You will be brought to the MANGO Page, if you don't have an account already, click "Sign Up" at the top of the page
- Once your account is created - you will be walked through the process of learning a new language with MANGO's friendly interface.
Buncombe County Libraries have more than just books. Our libraries are community hubs where citizens of all ages can find information, services, and amazing programs. Find a library in your community where you can read, learn, and discover.