This news item expired on Thursday, October 18, 2018 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
Community Recreation Grant Program Process 2018-2019
The mission of Buncombe County Recreation Services is to improve the quality of life within our community by providing high quality recreational facilities, opportunities for social interaction, and programming which encourages health and wellness through active lifestyles. The purpose of the Buncombe County Recreation Services Grants Program is to provide funding to qualified organizations within Buncombe County interested in partnering with our Department to carry out our mission through the promotion of recreational fitness, health and wellness initiatives as well as community based activities and capital improvements that increase recreational opportunities for the communities served.
I. Eligibility Requirements
In order to be eligible to receive a Community Recreation Grant, the grantee MUST
• Be a nonprofit organization that serves the general public with a mission that reflects that of the Buncombe County Recreation Services as stated in the Purpose statement above and the Buncombe County Sustainability Plan Annual Report.
• Operate in Buncombe County serving primarily Buncombe residents
• The organization, including the facility where the organization gathers, must be open to all members of the general public. Information regarding how the facility can be reserved for public use must be clearly posted and proof must be provided in the application
II. Preferred Applications
Applications which meet one or more of the following criteria will receive preferential status over other applications: Preferred applications will
• Foster an atmosphere of inclusivity by extending recreation opportunities to minority or disadvantaged populations
• Promote goals highlighted within the Buncombe County Sustainability Plan
• Foster collaboration between area non-profits in a manner that maximizes effectiveness, increases reach, and reduces duplicative efforts
• Promote novel or innovative recreational experiences which may aid the department in achieving its mission with a wider audience
• Connect to existing local government efforts through providing a leveraging effect or through synergies created between multiple County departments or between jurisdictions
III. Application Requirements
In order to achieve eligibility for consideration, the application must clearly explain and appropriately quantify how the project will:
• Create or expand recreational opportunities available to County residents
• Add value to existing recreational or educational programs which are reflective of the department’s mission
• Focus on community recreational experiences rather than the operational needs of the organization requesting funding
• All required information must be submitted on the Community Recreation Grant application form. If an application is not submitted on the appropriate application form, the Department reserves the right to deny review of that application.
• Signed applications must be received no later than Friday, October 19, 2018 by 5:00 pm. You may submit your application in one of two ways 1) electronically by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail to: Buncombe County Recreation Services, 46 Valley Street, Asheville, NC 28801. Please do not drop applications off at the office. Applications received after this date/time will be rejected.
• Applicants are required to attach proof of their active non-profit status as recorded with the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State with their application.
• Applicants are required to attach their non-profit organization’s current year annual operating budget as approved by your Board.
• Please include a project budget which includes a breakdown of the funding requested from Buncombe County Recreation Services and include quotes/estimates for the project. (Sample Budget Form attached to Application)
• Accurate and timely quotes must be provided for all materials and services listed in the grant application’s budget. All quotes must be provided directly from the vendor and submitted to Buncombe County Recreation Services with the completed application. Organizations must purchase goods/services from the vendors provided in the quotes submitted. If the organization wishes to change vendors, a request must be submitted in writing and approved by staff.
• Grant funds cannot be used to support food and entertainment costs, travel expenses, general office supplies, and/or salaries for any individual or sub-contractor, except for labor costs directly related to an approved capital improvement project.
IV. Implementation of Grant Proposal
The grant recipient must agree to follow the subsequent guidelines in order to receive awarded funds in full.
• Announcements of funding approval will be sent out within one (1) week of the initial decision. Once notifications of funds have been issued, all funded organizations must sign and return the Fund Agreement form. No work can be done on a grant project prior to the fund agreement being signed.
• Staff will select organizations for an on-site visit after the completion of the project.
• Grant funds must be used within the fiscal year they are allocated (for this funding cycle: November 2018 through May 31, 2019). If the funds are not used, and a project is not carried out in full, the department reserves the right to refuse funding in subsequent years while also requiring the return of unused funds.
• All verifications of expenditures must be submitted by May 31, 2019. Only valid receipts on a vendor or retail company’s letterhead, printout or cash register receipt reflecting the company’sname will be accepted. The organization must complete the funded activity project prior to May 31, 2019.
• Buncombe County Recreation Services must be recognized as the granting organization in all documents, publications, and publicity (press releases, media, web pages including social media tools, verbal presentations, etc.) concerning the funded project.
V. Disbursement of Grants
• The maximum amount that will be considered for appropriation is $6,000.00. Please itemize and prioritize your submitted project budgets as funds are limited and we anticipate that many of thecommunity’s non-profits will compete for consideration.
• The following criteria will be considered.
- The source of income of the organization - What areas of support does the organization have available to them for funding opportunities?
- The population served - How many citizens of Buncombe County will be directly served by the request and is the applying organization open to the general public without discrimination (as per Buncombe County policy)?
• Upon approval of grant funds, payment to the non-profit will be in the form of a check or electronic funds transfer, which will be written to or electronically transferred to the name of the requesting non-profit organization (checks will not be written to or funds transferred electronically to an individual representing the organization), and all necessary forms and documents required by Buncombe County Recreation Services must be signed by an approved officer of the non-profit organization.
• The organization receiving funds is responsible for adherence with all applicable government requirements and regulations including obtaining any and all appropriate permits. If your project includes improvements to any county owned property, Buncombe County Recreation Services Manager and the Buncombe County General Services Director must review and approve your plan before funds are released. If the project includes property which is not under the direct control or oversight of the organization applying for funds, proof of knowledge and consent on the part of the property owner must be presented with the application.
• No changes can be made to the project description and project budget without the prior approval of the staff.
Buncombe County reserves the right to modify funding based on previous applicants performance to ensure the effectiveness of the Community Recreation Grant Program administration. We also reserve the right to cancel this program at any time prior to funding the grant. Buncombe County does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, religion, handicap, disability or national origin.
Grantees MUST comply with all mentioned deadlines or awarded funds will be forfeited
Contact: Angie Hall Buncombe County Recreation Services 46 Valley Street, Asheville, NC 28801
Office #: 828.250.6704