Skip to Main Content

Get Free Tax Assistance at Your Library NOW

Buncombe County Public Libraries in cooperation with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, the IRS, NC Department of Revenue and the Council on Aging, is offering free tax preparations for taxpayers with low and moderate income with special attention to those age 60 and older.  This service will be available from February 1 through April 18. Both Federal and N.C. State returns will be electronically filed for safe and accurate preparation and faster refunds.


Pack Memorial Library                                                                       

67 Haywood Street, Downtown Asheville, 250-4700

  • Monday               10 am – 4 pm
  • Wednesday          10 am – 4 pm
  • Saturday              10:30am-3pm**VITA Tax Assistance

Free parking for the first hour at parking garage behind Pack Library

West Asheville Library

942 Haywood Road, 250-4750

  • Tuesday               9 am – 4 pm

NOTE:  The West Asheville Library will be a polling place in March. Tax services on Tuesdays will be moved to Pack Library on March 1, 8 & 15. All other Tuesdays tax services will be provided at the West Asheville Library.                                                                                                            

Weaverville Library

41 North Main Street, 250-6482

  • Thursday             10 am - 4 pm


Black Mountain Library

105 N Dougherty Street, 250-4756

  • Tuesday               10 am – 4 pm

Questions and requests for homebound individuals can be directed to the Buncombe County Council on Aging at 277-8288. 

**Saturday tax assistance is provided by UNCA and will end on April 9. There will be no Saturday tax assistance on March 12.


Please Bring the Following Documents:

  •          Photo I.D. for taxpayer and spouse
  •          Social Security cards or equivalent for all taxpayers and dependents
  •          Proof of health insurance coverage: Medicare A or C, Medicaid, CHIP, government, employer, individual, or Marketplace (Form 1095-A, Exemption Certificate)
  •          Previous year’s income tax return
  •          W-2 forms from each employer
  •          1099 forms for income from Social Security, Pension, Interest, Dividends, Brokers/Mutual Funds, Miscellaneous Income, Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G) and any other income
  •          Detailed list and receipts for Medical Expenses, Charitable Contributions, Real Estate Taxes and Mortgage Interest (Form 1098), if you are claiming itemized expenses
  •          Any other tax forms or information for both income and expenses
  •          A voided check for direct deposit of any refund to your checking or savings account