This news item expired on Thursday, March 31, 2016 so the information below could be outdated or incorrect.
Buncombe County Public Libraries in cooperation with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, the IRS, NC Department of Revenue and the Council on Aging, is offering free tax preparations for taxpayers with low and moderate income with special attention to those age 60 and older. This service will be available from February 1 through April 18. Both Federal and N.C. State returns will be electronically filed for safe and accurate preparation and faster refunds.
LOCATIONS AND HOURS:
Pack Memorial Library
67 Haywood Street, Downtown Asheville, 250-4700
- Monday 10 am – 4 pm
- Wednesday 10 am – 4 pm
- Saturday 10:30am-3pm**VITA Tax Assistance
Free parking for the first hour at parking garage behind Pack Library
West Asheville Library
942 Haywood Road, 250-4750
NOTE: The West Asheville Library will be a polling place in March. Tax services on Tuesdays will be moved to Pack Library on March 1, 8 & 15. All other Tuesdays tax services will be provided at the West Asheville Library.
41 North Main Street, 250-6482
Black Mountain Library
105 N Dougherty Street, 250-4756
Questions and requests for homebound individuals can be directed to the Buncombe County Council on Aging at 277-8288.
**Saturday tax assistance is provided by UNCA and will end on April 9. There will be no Saturday tax assistance on March 12.
Please Bring the Following Documents:
- Photo I.D. for taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security cards or equivalent for all taxpayers and dependents
- Proof of health insurance coverage: Medicare A or C, Medicaid, CHIP, government, employer, individual, or Marketplace (Form 1095-A, Exemption Certificate)
- Previous year’s income tax return
- W-2 forms from each employer
- 1099 forms for income from Social Security, Pension, Interest, Dividends, Brokers/Mutual Funds, Miscellaneous Income, Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G) and any other income
- Detailed list and receipts for Medical Expenses, Charitable Contributions, Real Estate Taxes and Mortgage Interest (Form 1098), if you are claiming itemized expenses
- Any other tax forms or information for both income and expenses
- A voided check for direct deposit of any refund to your checking or savings account