In Buncombe County and throughout WNC, severe weather can quickly strike, causing major damage and possible harm to residents. Hurricanes as far as way as the Gulf can cause severe problems in our area with high winds and flooding. In 2013, there were 150 flash floods in North Carolina. Flash floods in the mountains can move very fast, causing landslides, uprooting trees, rolling boulders, and destroying buildings and bridges. Communities in our county can stay afloat during weather events by preparing with simple steps.
Steps YOU Can Take NOW to Prepare. . .
Buncombe County Government believes an informed and engaged community is a strong community, that’s why we joined Nixle. Nixle is an emergency communication system that gives Buncombe County Government the ability to quickly and effectively communicate with our citizens during an emergency via text, voice mail, email, and social media. All you have to do is sign up. Signing up is simple, just text “BCALERT” to 888777 and you will be notified of any life-threatening emergency in Buncombe via text message. To cancel, reply STOP to 888777. No charge, but message and data rates may apply.
Create an Emergency Kit:
This is one of the most important steps you can take to prepare. Fire fighters and police cannot always reach everyone quickly. Basic services like water, gas, power, sewage treatment and phones may be not work for many days or more.
You need to put enough water, food and supplies in your kit for up to seven days for each person and pet. Supplies for emergency preparedness kits can be purchased at most grocery stores.
Emergency supplies for a preparedness kit include:
- Up to 7 days supply of food and water for people and pets
- A battery-powered radio, flashlights
- Water purifying supplies (chlorine or iodine tablets or unscented ordinary household bleach) visit www.Ready.gov for water purification instructions.
- Personal hygiene supplies, baby supplies, sturdy shoes, waterproof gloves
- Insect repellent, long-sleeved and long-legged clothing for protection against mosquitoes.
Other Important Ways to Prepare Include:
- Being informed about your community’s emergency plans and locations of emergency shelters and having access to a battery powered radio so you can get updates if your power goes out
- Signing up for Nixle, Buncombe County’s emergency notification system.
- Posting emergency phone numbers in your home
- Identifying potential home hazards and securing them before dangerous weather
- Tuning in to local radio or television stations for updates
- Staying up to date on your tetanus shot to avoid infection. You can get a Tdap immunization at the Buncombe County Immunization Clinic.
- Making arrangements for transportation, identifying pet shelters, and safely storing essential documents
Buncombe County Government also encourages residents to come together to create plans for keeping each other safe, like checking on your neighbor when bad weather strikes.
These simple steps can keep you and your loved ones safe when all else fails. Click here to download the preparedness kit poster to share with your loved ones or post in your workplace.
To learn more about preparedness at the state level, click here: http://readync.org/EN/Plan.html