Buncombe County Sheriff's Office- Sheriff Executive Resource Volunteer (SERV)
The Buncombe County Sheriff's Office has established a volunteer program for residents who wish to serve within the Sheriff's Office.
Sheriff's Executive Resource Volunteers, or SERV, offers participants an opportunity to volunteer in various capacities within the Sheriff's Office. Through this program SERV volunteers assist Sheriff's Office paid personnel in providing quality service to the residents of Buncombe County. SERV volunteers served more than 10,800 hours at the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office, delivering more than $230,000 worth of services.
SERV volunteers connect with the public through volunteer efforts, and SERV members increase the Sheriff's Office presence in the community in a positive, non-threatening manner. These efforts from our volunteers foster good community relations with residents the Sheriff's Office serves.
Volunteer positions are available in many divisions of the agency. We currently offer opportunities within the Patrol Division, the Courthouse, the Detention Facility, and our Crime Prevention Unit.
- Be of Good Moral Character
- Be a current US Citizen
- Have a valid North Carolina Driver’s License
- Have frequent weekday availability
- Pass a Background Check
- Have no felony convictions or charges pending
- Must pass a drug test
- Present a professional appearance
- Volunteer at least 16 hours a month (4hrs/week)
- Must work well with others
- Applicants for SERV must have attended the Buncombe County Sheriff's Academy. Those applicants who have completed a Sheriff's Academy in another county or the Asheville Police Academy will be considered on a case-by-case basis
If you are interested please contact the SERV program at (828) 250-4404 or e-mail at SERV@buncombecounty.org.