The Crime Prevention Unit of the Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office is charged with educating Buncombe County citizens about how to make their community safer. The deputies of the Crime Prevention Unit have developed programs and services in an effort to aid citizens in making their neighborhoods and community a safe place to live work and play. The Crime Prevention Unit conducts free home security surveys and makes specific program presentations at the public's request.
The Crime Prevention Unit Programming
- The Crime Prevention Unit has programming tailored for the adults, children and seniors in our community.
- Community Watch- Community Watch programs teach communities how to keep their neighborhoods safe through practicing effective safety strategies. There are currently several active community watches across Buncombe County.
- Preventing Identity Theft- This program involves teaching practical steps that can be taken to reduce the chance of having your identity stolen.
- Personal Safety- Practical suggestions on safety measures that can be used in everyday situations are taught in this program.
- Predator Proofing Your Child- This program teaches children how to be aware of their surroundings and potential threats in a non-threatening or scary manner.
- Kid's ID Program- Parents and caregivers are provided with a kit that contains biographical information, photograph and fingerprints of their children that can be provided to law enforcement in case of an emergency.
- Explorer Scouts- The Buncombe County Sheriff's Office sponsor an Explorer Scout Troop that focuses on the field of law enforcement.
Programming for Seniors
- Preventing Scams and Fraud- In this program, seniors are taught steps to take to prevent becoming a victim of a scam or fraud.
- Home Security for Seniors- This program offers suggestions to seniors that live alone or who are homebound that will help reduce the fear of crime.
Community Activities and Partnerships
- Buncombe County Sheriff's Office Citizen's Academy - The Sheriff's Office Citizen's Academy is offered annually in the spring of the year for eleven consecutive weeks. The academy is designed to provide an overview of daily operations and each topic will be presented by Sheriff's Office staff.
- Triad - Triad is a partnership facilitated through Land-Of-Sky Regional Council, law enforcement, senior leaders in the community and others that are concerned about the safety and wellbeing of mature citizens in the community. Monthly meetings of this partnership are held at Land-of-Sky Regional Council located at 339 New Leicester Hwy in Asheville.
For more information regarding these crime prevention programs and community partnerships, please call Sgt. Kim Mull at 828-250-4427.