Criteria to apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit:
- An applicant must provide a completed and notarized AOC-SP-917 release form with their online application.
- An applicant must be a resident of Buncombe County for at least 30 days.
- An applicant must be 21 years of age.
- Current North Carolina Picture ID (Drivers License or Identification Card).
- Be a citizen, a naturalized citizen or resident alien
A permit to purchase a handgun has a processing cost of $5.00 (each). A convenience fee of $3.00 (per application, plus a credit card processing fee) will also be charged for using the online application service.
Permit to Purchase a Handgun is valid for a period of five years from the date of issuance.
Please allow up to 14 business days for processing of applications and criminal background check.
Persons not eligible include anyone:
- Under indictment or against whom a finding of probable cause exists for a felony
- Found guilty in any court for a felony
- Who is a fugitive from justice
- Who is an unlawful user of or addicted to illegal drugs;
- Discharged from the armed forces for other than honorable reasons
- Who has been ruled mentally ill or lacking mental capacity
- Ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law
- Fully satisfied as to the good moral character of the applicant
- Found guilty of a crime or crimes of domestic violence or has an active Restraining Order