Every County is required by G. S. 47-30.2 to designate one or more review officers to review non-exempt plats for compliance with all statutory requirements. When a review officer has determined that a plat is legally sufficient and may be recorded, he or she must place their certification on the map.
The Review Officer will check for the following information: (Contact Planning Department for more information)
- The Review Officers signature, statement, & date signed (must be recorded within 30 days of approval).
- A vicinity map
- A north arrow
- Name of the owner
- Township - county & state
- Date survey was made
- Scale ratio (example 1" = 200')
- Bar graph
- Name and address of surveyor or firm preparing the plat.
- Original signature, seal, and registration number of surveyor.
- The surveyor's certificate must be substantially in this form.
- If the Surveyor places a notary acknowledgement on the plat it must be exactly in this form.
- The surveyor must certify on the plat one of the following statements:
- That the survey creates a subdivision of land within the area of a county or municipality that as an ordinance that regulates parcels of land
- That the survey is located in such portion of county or municipality that in unregulated as to an ordinance that regulates parcels of land
- That the survey is of an existing parcel or parcels of land
- That the survey is of another category, such as the recombination of existing parcels, a court-ordered survey, or other exception to the definition of subdivision
- That the information available to the surveyor is such that the surveyor is unable to make a determination to the best of his or her professional ability as to provisions contained in (A) through (D) above.
- NOTE: If the surveyor certifies either A, D, or E, the plat must have the approval of the Buncombe County Review Officers as well as one of the following Governmental Agencies:
NOTE: If the surveyor certifies C as stated above, no approval is necessary prior to recording.
- Buncombe County
- City of Asheville
- Town of Black Mountain
- Town of Biltmore Forest
- Town of Montreat
- Town of Woodfin
- Town of Weaverville
If a map is attached to a deed or other instrument, it must be no larger than 8½" by 14" and meet the requirements of either G. S. 47-30(m) or G.S. 47-30(n).
- To meet the requirements of G.S. 47-30(m), an attached map must contain the original signature and seal of a registered land surveyor or be a certified copy of a map that bears the original signature and seal of a registered land surveyor and review officer.
- To meet the requirements of G.S. 47-30(n) an attached map must have written on it the following statement:
"THIS MAP IS NOT A CERTIFIED SURVEY AND HAS NOT BEEN REVIEWED BY A LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR COMPLIANCE WITH ANY APPLICABLE LAND DEVELOPMENT REGULATONS."
An attached map that contains this statement is exempt from certification by a review officer and may be recorded without that certification. It must be recorded as part of an instrument.