Skip to Main Content


Maps and plats are part of the records kept in the Register of Deeds office that are related to real property, and special laws govern their recording. All plats on record in this office can now be searched through our online document search.

To record a plat or survey in this office, it must meet the requirements as listed below.

  • Buncombe County requires Plats to be 18" x 24", or 24" x 36" with blank margin of 1½" on left side and blank margin of ½" on remaining three sides. All plats must be on Mylar and reproducible.
  • Must be submitted to a Review Officer at Buncombe County Planning Department which is located at 46 Valley Street, Asheville (828-250-4830) or a Review Officer located at the City Building.
  • The only exceptions to having a plat signed off by a Review officer are one of the following statements on the plat by the surveyor:
    • That the survey is of an existing parcel or parcels of land and does not create a new street or change an existing street.
    • That the survey is of an existing building or other structure, or natural feature such as a watercourse.
    • That the survey is a control survey.

If you would like to submit a plat via electronic recording, please visit our eRecording page for additional information.


  • Record Plats:               $21.00 per page
  • Certified Copies:          $5.00 per page
  • Non-certified copies:     $1.50 per page

We accept credit, debit, cash, personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.

Maps attached to Deeds or Other Instruments (Illustrative Plats)

The review officer’s certification is not required for plats or maps attached only for illustration purposes to deeds or other instruments that:

  • Are no larger than 8½" x 14"
  • Contains the language required by GS 47-30(n), which legend is to read as follows: "This map is not a certified survey and has not been reviewed by a local government agency for compliance with any applicable land development regulations."

For a plat attached to an instrument to be registered without the above legend, it must:

  • Either have the original signature and seal of a registered land surveyor, OR be a certified copy of a plat that bears an original signature and seal of the surveyor
  • AND it must be reviewed and certified by the review officer before it can be registered.