Plats are part of the real estate records archived at the Register of Deeds Office. Special laws govern the recording of surveys, which are referred to as plats once they are recorded. Buncombe County returns all plats at time of recording. All recorded plats are available on our online record lookup.
Plat Recording Requirements:
- Acceptable sizes are 18” x 24” and 24” x 36” with at least 1/2'’ border on all sides.
- Plats must be reproducible and be black ink on white paper, Mylar or other archival material.
- Plats should be submitted to Buncombe County or City of Asheville Review Officer for review before recording, unless one of the following statements is indicated on the survey.
- That the survey is of an existing parcel or parcels of land or one or more existing easements and does not create a new street or change and existing street.
- That the survey is of an existing feature, such as a building or other structure, or natural feature, such as a watercourse.
- That the survey is a control survey.
- That the survey is of a proposed easement for a public utility as defined in G.S. 62-3.
If you would like to submit a plat via electronic recording, please visit our eRecording page for additional information.
- Plat Recording: $21.00 per page
- Certified Copies: $5.00 per page, $2.00 for each additional, if a multi-sheet plat
- Non-certified copies: $1.50 for full-size prints, $0.25 for letter or legal size
We accept credit, debit, cash, personal checks, or money orders payable to Buncombe County Register of Deeds.
Maps attached to Deeds or Other Instruments (Illustrative Plats)
Attached maps or surveys that are exhibits to other legal documents can be letter (8" x 11") or legal size (8" x 14") and should conform to one of the following three options:
- The Survey is an original map with a surveyor's seal and original signature and meets all other recording requirements for plats, including Review Officer's approval, if applicable.
- A certified copy of a recorded plat.
- Attached map or survey contains this statement: This map may not be a certified survey and has not been reviewed by a local government agency for compliance with any applicable land development regulations and has not been reviewed for compliance with recording requirements for plats.
Please be aware that attached map exhibits with font size smaller than 9 or containing color or gray areas will be charged a $25.00 non-standard fee. Click here for Recording Standards.