Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, NC Fish & Wildlife Game Wardens patrol the French Broad River where the river parks are located; you must have a NC Fishing License if you are age 16 and older. NC Fishing Licenses are available at sports centers and stores throughout North Carolina.  

Yes. Lake Julian requires a NC Fishing License and a Lake Fishing Permit for anyone age 16 or older. Fishing licenses are available at sports centers and stores throughout North Carolina. Lake Fishing Permits are available at Lake Julian Park Ranger Station.

  • $4 per day or $25 per year for persons age 16 - 65.
  • $10 per year for persons age 65 - 70.
  • $10 for Disabled persons or persons over age 70
Yes. There is a private boat launch at Lake Julian Park. The cost is $8 per day/$50 per year. There are no gasoline powered boats permitted on Lake Julian.

Yes. Pleasure craft and fishing boats are available for rent at Lake Julian Park.

  • Paddle Boats $8/half hour $12/hour
  • Jon Boats (Jon Boats $15/ 4 hours, $25 all day.) Jon Boats are not equipped with a motor. Renters must supply their own electric motor.

Yes. Lake Julian Park has a July 4th Fireworks Display. The show is always on July 4 and starts shortly after dark.

Yes. Fishing is permitted from the banks of the two lakes in the park and from the Swannanoa River that runs through the park. There is a fishing pier that is wheelchair accessible. A North Carolina fishing license is required to fish in the lakes or in the river.

Charles D. Owen Park has two fishing lakes and a fishing pier. There is no boating allowed in the lakes.

Yes. Call 250-4260 for specific information.

The Asheville-Buncombe Youth Soccer Association (ABYSA) can be reached at (828) 299-7277.

Physical address:
410 Swannanoa River Road (across from the Walmart Shopping Center).

Mailing address:
PO Box 895
Asheville NC 28802

Buncombe County’s 5 outdoor pools open on Memorial Day Weekend. The pools are open for weekends only until the end of the school year. After school releases for the summer the pools will be open daily.

The regular cost to swim is $3.00 per visit. There are discount passes available for sale at all pools.

  • 10 Visit Pass $25
  • 25 Visit Pass $50

Sign up dates for swim lessons are announced on our website. To register your child you must go to the pool where the lessons will be held on the date of sign ups. Lessons are offered on a first come/first served basis and classes fill quickly. For more information call 828-348-4770.

Lessons are $30 per child for 4 lessons. Lessons are 30 minutes long.

Lifeguards are certified by the American Red Cross. The Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification requires a 31 hour course offered at the YMCA and YWCA.  This includes classroom and pool training and certificates.  Participants must pass all water and hands-on courses and all written exams.  For more information contact 828-348-0470 or visit

Yes. Visit, call (828) 348-4770, or contact the pool directly for information.

Swimming is not permitted in any Buncombe County lake or at the River Parks.

Buncombe County Parks, Greenways and Recreations Services maintains 6 River Parks on the French Broad River. These parks are equipped with picnic tables, grills, a boat launch and parking. There are no restrooms at any of the River Parks.

Picnic shelters are available for rent at the following parks:

Yes. Alcohol Permits are available for purchase with the rental of picnic shelters at Lake Julian Park. Alcohol permits must be purchased at Lake Julian Park. The cost is $50 and is non-refundable. Alcohol Permits are sold at the discretion of the BCPG&R Director. The use of alcohol is confined to the picnic shelters at Lake Julian Park. No alcohol is permitted in the pool area.

The Buncombe County Sports Park is located in Candler.
From Asheville go West on I-40. Take Exit 44. Turn right at the light at the end of the exit ramp. Go through the next traffic light and then immediately turn right at Apac Circle next to McDonald’s. Travel up to the next traffic light and turn left on to Sandhill Road. The Buncombe County Sports Park entrance is 3/10th of a mile on the right, just past Sandhill-Venable School.

Yes. Marriages can be performed in Buncombe County Parks. Picnic shelters are available for rental and can be reserved for wedding parties. Call Lake Julian Park for more information.  684-0376

There are several dog parks located in Buncombe County. For information about these parks contact Asheville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts (259-5800) or Black Mountain Recreation and Parks (419-9300).
There are walking trails at Charles D. Owen Park and the Buncombe County Sports Park that are suitable for walking dogs on a leash. All Buncombe County Parks allow dogs at park facilities as long as the dog is leashed. Dogs are not permitted at any Buncombe County Pool.