Skip to Main Content

COVID-19 Update

Stay up to date

Immunizations for Foreign Travelers

Immunizations provide a shield of protection from dangerous diseases. Buncombe County Health and Human Services provides screening, education, and immunizations for clients traveling abroad. We want citizens to understand that getting immunized, especially when traveling out of the country, protects you and your community against very serious diseases that are only a plane ride away.

IMPORTANT — You must have an appointment to get your foreign travel immunizations. It takes some immunizations several weeks to offer full protection. We recommend you get foreign travel immunizations at least one month before your trip.

WHEN do I make an appointment?

  • 4 WEEKS before your departure date: Call 828-250-5096 and make an appointment.
  • 5 DAYS before your appointment: Send your immunization records and Travel Immunization Forms to us before your visit. This will help us prepare for your visit.
    • Mail to: BC HHS, Immunization Clinic, P.O. Box 7408, Asheville, NC 28802
    • FAX: (828) 250-6163
  • 1-2 DAYS before your appointment: A nurse will contact you before your appointment. We want to make sure we have what you need before you come.

What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?

Clients should check in 15 minutes prior to appointment time. It is important to bring the following items to your appointment:

  • Yellow International Health Book (also called "International Certificate of Vaccination by the World Health Organization")
  • Your Immunization Record
  • Travel Forms
  • Trip Itinerary
  • List of medications and allergies
  • Your health insurance card information or payment

For detailed information about foreign travel safety, download this fact sheet.

Travel Immunization Forms

We suggest that you complete the forms below prior to your visit. This will help our staff prepare for your visit and save time. If you don’t get a chance to send them to us before your visit, please have them filled out and bring them with you. This will save you time.

Your Immunization Records

Your immunization records may be required for work, school, or travel outside of the United States. It is important to have your immunization record so you can know when you might need a new immunization or booster shot as you age. Talk to your doctor or call our Immunization Clinic with questions or to obtain official copies of immunization records.


There are fees for almost all foreign travel immunizations. Payment is expected at time of service.

  • Insurance — please bring insurance info with you. We bill Medicaid, Medicare, and most private insurances.
  • Self-pay — we accept cash, money orders, checks, debit and credit cards
  • The state of North Carolina offers certain free vaccines to those who qualify.
  • Learn more about fees and billing options.

For More Information: